Wide Old Board
I found an old shelving board from the 50's in my father-in-law's garage. Probably nothing special, but I was impressed by its 15"+ width and how it had survived for 60 years without cupping or bowing. I'm not sure if it's Pine or Fir. Boards like these were common utility lumber back then and he probably payed two bits for it. My thought is that you don't see stuff like this now days. Could be wrong.

Yes a really nice board! I've been collecting old boards myself but mine have been used and have nails. Most are dimension lumber so I also have to get into re-sawing but all the more fun.
Southern ILlinois
Fifteen to eighteen still available at the corner sawmill up here. Eastern white. Probably CCC stuff. My dad may have planted some!

Cheaper than buying particle board for basement bookshelves, too, at 0.85 BF for D select. Problem is it's buy now use next winter or pay a buck a foot out of the kiln.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Yup Eastern White Pine. A very stable and overlooked species. Trouble with air drying is the sap runs. Kiln dried with the pitch set is a better bet. That's my favorite wood and fairly well available in wide widths.
I'll wager a beer that board pictured has a completely different dynamic than any 15" wide WP board you can snatch up today. Try pressing a thumbnail into that puppy and you'll agree with me.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve is correct I bet. When I renovated the shop that I know work out of the walls were completely covered with shelving from floor to ceiling. Everything was built from 12" wide white pine boards. When I started pulling them down I had to do a double take. The things felt like hard maple. The weight of the boards was unbelievable. The growth rings were so close I couldn't even count them. On top of that they were all clear. I got lucky and the majority of them didn't have any nail holes so now I have quite a hefty pile of nice old growth white pine.
This is a piece of sugar pine 22" wide and 1.5" thick before planing. The gentleman from whom I purchased this board stated that he obtained this board in 1961.

Ron

"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Ron, I have a bunch of sugar pine too. It came out of an old pattern makers shop. It is all 10/4 22-26" wide. It is so soft I haven't figured out what to use it for yet but I can't bring myself to part with it. I'm guessing they had it because it shapes so easily.
Ron Brese said:

This is a piece of sugar pine 22" wide and 1.5" thick before planing. The gentleman from whom I purchased this board stated that he obtained this board in 1961.

Ron

Wow

That looks just like Maple and the rings are really good and tight too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
22"...............That's one wide clear board Ron!