Lube for jointer ways?
I'm putting a Rockwell Delta 8" jointer back in service. (It had rust and 4 coats of paint that I've had to remove )

I'm almost ready to reassemble it but need to know the best way to lube the ways of the beds.

Is Johnson's floor wax a good idea? What about mixing in some graphite powder with the wax?

I don't want to have to pull it apart again anytime soon so I'm looking for the best way to keep them moving and rust free.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would just use Johnsons paste wax rub it in buff it off

all you really need is a bit of moisture protection there it is not like they get moved tons

JME

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

We use "way lube" in our machines in our factory (metal working machines). I would think that it would be the same for woodworking.

See: http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Lubri...;rdrct=way+lube
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Some folks like paraffin wax. I have used DriSlide, a dry moly/graphite combo, with success.

Doug
I use whatever grease I have handy. Probably wheel bearing grease right now. The purple stuff. Its not very critical.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
On all the stuff we had in the Machine shop and Sheet metal show we used White Lithium grease. Great stuff and keeps out corrosion. I use it now for my Band Saw, Table Saw, Planner and Jointer.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Grease is frequently used for metal working machines, but the wax would dry harder, and not be a dust magnet. So for a woodworking tool I'd either use paste wax, and buff it out, or paraffin. As Joe said, it's not like you move them a lot, but if they are all gummed up with fine wood dust they can be harder to move at all. I have acquired more than one old jointer that was sold as junk because they "couldn't adjust them"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Cooler said:

We use "way lube" in our machines in our factory (metal working machines). I would think that it would be the same for woodworking.

See: http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Lubri...;rdrct=way+lube

If all these other lubes worked perfectly for ways why would the bother to produce an oil specific for that purpose?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Way lube for metal working machines has a different purpose, since it is exposed to metal swarf, and there is much more motion on a metal working machine ways then on the adjusters on a jointer or its other moving parts. I have read that way oil is designed to float the swarf and allow it to be cleaned off the ways by the wipers that are commonly fitted to metal working machines, and is somewhat similar to bar chain oil.
Steve N said:

Grease is frequently used for metal working machines, but the wax would dry harder, and not be a dust magnet.

This!

I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks