School me on Shark Bite/etc fittings
Sharkbites are compatible with both pex and copper. Push the sharkbite fitting on the copper until it locks and push the pex on the other end. I use sharkbites whenever possible, there is even a little tool you can buy to take the fittings apart, that fitting can be reused. Sure cuts down on plumbing time.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Yes, just shove it in. Just clean and debut the end of it will cut the o ring. Make sure it's seated all the way or you'll be back. Only had one problem with shark bite, and it was on top of a water heater where water hammer allowed the pipe to move every time the water was turned on and off. It wore the o ring out eventually.

In general, I always try to use solder or per wherever I can, but shark bites are great for repairs in tight spots. Just used one in a rental house under a sink where I could barely reach.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Lets say you wanted to re-plumb a house, 2 bath, kitchen, a couple outside spigots, open access from the basement.

A. Could one (non professional) get it done in 2 days?
B. Shark bite or buy the tools?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I did exactly that at my last house in about six hours. I used copper pipe and sweated the fittings. I see nothing wrong with pex, although I wouldn't even consider using shark bites in a whole house.

In my new house, I had the plumber use copper in the utility room and then switch to pex. I like the rigidity of copper in areas like the water heater.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My one try with a shark bite was a leaker. I'll stick to Pex and/or soldered copper. Copper is easy with a bit of practice and a mapp gas cylinder instead of just propane.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I find it's best to mark the pipe 1" from the end to insure it is fully seated in the fitting. Working in a tight spot, it can be hard to tell if you got it. Push the pipe in to the mark and your good.

I use them all the time for repairs. For new construction I would solder copper or crimp Pex.
Will post for food.
I did my house that way but I added lots of ball valves to the mix so I could keep the place up and running while I was making the transition. My wife was working at the time so the bath needed to be up and running everyday. I did it with solder as shark bites weren't an option. If soldering not properly cleaning the pipe and fittings is probably are where people in a hurry tend to shoot themselves in the foot
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

For that situation I wold PEX the hole thing. Rent the crimper sizes that you need or buy the set if you think you will get more use out of them.

Sharkbites are great, but they would break most budgets to do a whole house.
I personally would not use sharkbites as a permanent fix in an inaccessible location.

I am not convinced the O-rings will not deteriorate over time. They use an EPDM O-rings, which are superior to your garden variety of rubber, but is still subject to environmental degradation, but to what degree, I'm unsure. Its a good material for the application, but is not permanent.

Definitely do not expose the O-rings to solvents or aromatic hydrocarbons. In other words, don't lubricate them with common greases or Vaseline.

I just wonder why you would add a seal to a system that otherwise probably has infinite life if done in copper or pex.

I keep several sharkbites in my plumbing kit for field expedient repairs and they are the bees knees in that situation.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry