Mortiser
Anyone ever used a Mortiser for a drill press ?
I am making some draw-bored joints and I need to cut some very accurate fiorstner but holes.
My big jet Mortiser has a much better hold down thank my press.
The consensus would say it will work and is slower. It also ties up your drill press for other things. The setup and tare down time is not trivial. If it is all you have and you do not do a lot of mortises, then have at it.

Most would say that if you have a mortiser, then use it.

If it is only a couple, I would use mortise chisels.
WoodTinker
I've never heard of anyone doing that. It will be interesting to hear what the results (and other replies) are.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The earlier New Yankee Workshops with Norm Abrams videos shows Norm using a drill press with a mortising kit.

It can be done as the kits are still available to buy.

$99 for the drill press kit vs about $300 for a bench mortiser. There is better leverage on the mortiser.
WoodTinker
WoodTinker said:

The earlier New Yankee Workshops with Norm Abrams videos shows Norm using a drill press with a mortising kit.

$99 for the drill press kit vs about $300 for a bench mortiser. There is better leverage on the mortiser.

The question was can you use a mortiser as a drill press....
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks JC

Correct

I have a big floor model Mortiser.
JGrout said:

I totally didn't read it that way the first time

That said, I don'y see why not, as long as your but is long enough to clear the chisel holder.
Benny

JGrout said:

[blockquote]WoodTinker said:

[/blockquote]

Well then. As WT wipes the egg off his face.

I see no reason, just remove the outer square chisel attachment. It has a chuck. Be sure it is good and tight.

Another question is: Do you have a drill press?
WoodTinker
WoodTinker said:

Another question is: Do you have a drill press?

GOVOLS said:

My big jet Mortiser has a much better hold down thank my press.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Don't see why not. The bit will have to be longer since the chuck is buried in the machine. You can use the drill bits for the machine - basically you are already doing that. I don't know if the bits drill a clean hole; never tried it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.