Interesting vise
Sort of reminds me of a Benchcrafted shoulder vise. It says "This was used in a medical practice that is currently downsizing. "

Trying to imagine what a doctor would use this for?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tls...10540.html

Perhaps artificial limbs, something like that. Looks like its got some plaster on it, so casts maybe? Looks like they think a lot of it, pretty expensive price. I'd go maybe $75, just for the articulating jaw in the front, doesn't look all that stout from the size of the screws. Carvers might find it very useful; luthiers too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It's what they use to open 'child-proof' prescription bottles.
Is that thing as bent as it looks? Seems to have had a hard life.
Looks like the front jaw is sprung...If it is, I would pass on it...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Looks to me as if its on a swivel. Also it appears pretty hefty judging by the garage door in the picture. That would make a fantastic gunsmith vise. Its worth the asking.
I looked at the picture closer and I think you are right..It does look like the front jaw swivels...That makes it a pretty good deal for a gunsmith vise or for wood carving...

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Oh, yeah, the front jaw clearly appears to articulate on a post, but its worth it to check it out to make sure; I was thinking luthier, but a gunsmith would also find it useful.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I think it would clean up and become a real beauty, Rich...I love the wheel instead of the bar for closing and opening...I have even thought of buying a cast iron wheel off an old metal lathe and adapting it to fit one of my bench vises..So many projects..so little time!!

I need more vises like I need a hole in my head!!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

I need more vises like I need a hole in my head!!!!

You said it brother!

r2