Elm
How is it to turn?
I have all I can turn for a few years at my disposal, but would like to find out any info I can, as to how it works on a lathe.

Any info would be appreciated.
Carl
Hard headed Cajun
It's not bad. Not my favorite, mostly because it didn't sand well for me. Might have been operator error, though. I've done 4 or 5 bowls out of it. It turns nicely when wet, though a little stinky.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Did you find it splintered or the grain tearing excessively?

I just don't want to waste time if the Elm is more a PITA than it is worth.
Carl
Hard headed Cajun
I am not the norm but I love turning it. It seems there are always neat surprises in how the wood shows itself when turning.

You do have to use the bevel or you will get torn grain easy, but it is some nice wood.

I am looking forward to seeing what you make.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've turned it several times. Like others have said, most species of elm stink when turning it. (Somewhere between wet dog & stale urine.) Thankfully, the respirator filters out most of the smell. Other types don't stink that much. Turns well. Looks blah while turning. Some types (japanese) darken as it dries & looks almost like walnut when dry while other types (chinese) remain light. Far from the strongest wood and sanding can be a pain with the somewhat open pores, but far from the most difficult wood I've turned.

I'd say give it a shot & see how you like it and go from there. Not a whole lot to lose... it's almost like wood grows on trees.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
I was looking at some of it today. Pieces of the same branch were turning brown like walnut while other pieces were staying a cream color. All off the same branch.
There are alot of crotch pieces. The trunk looks like it is a little over 2' wide.

As for the smell I am use to being around farm animals from cows to pigs to smelly dogs to caged rabbits. The smell wont bother me too much.If it gets too bad I can run a fan blowing outside to help.

Thanks all for the help.
Carl
Hard headed Cajun
craneman54 said:

Did you find it splintered or the grain tearing excessively?

I just don't want to waste time if the Elm is more a PITA than it is worth.

I didn't have any trouble with tear out or anything. My main complaint was that it didn't sand very well for me. It was fun turning green, though. The species I had was kind of plain looking for my taste, but ok for salad bowls. Personally, I don't know if I'd want the huge quantity you're talking about, but it's definitely worth picking some up. Min stayed fairly light in color. Darker color would be more tempting for me.
Quote:

Darker color would be more tempting for me.

I hear you there. I have all the plain wood I want.I am wanting something wit more color to it. I may have to start using dyes to get color though.
Carl
Hard headed Cajun
On open grain wood like ash and elm, antiquing glaze can add some character. I can add a picture when I have time if you'd like to see. SUPER easy to do.
Yes please I would like to see this. I am always open to new way of finishing, and all aspects of turning.
Carl
Hard headed Cajun