What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but
Fein Multitool for me. I bought it for a specific job. The longer I have it the more I use it for those oddball things that nothing else works for.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Steve N said:

[blockquote]Axehandle said:

Knew Concepts fret and coping saw.

Did you buy after trying them, or just order online?

[/blockquote]

I was skeptical of them even after I bought them. I used the coping saw for three rooms worth of 3 piece baseboards in my house and I was not convinced it was any better than the TFWW German one I had. The difference was the blades. The TFWW one had a TFWW olsen? blade and the KC was some unknown. After I got that sorted out there was a pretty reasonable difference in tension. Not a ton, maybe not enough to justify the price difference but it is a better tool and my skepticism went away because of it.

Later I tried the KC fret saw at Highland in Atlanta and just bought it. I don't regret it. It is the 5" one. Im really getting into hand tools that do not look traditional.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I am genetically frugal. I scoffed at almost everything in the Lee Valley catalog, especially hand planes. "You want how much?" I can buy a [whichever power tool] for that price. Well, I have completely changed my mind. Now that I have fettled some inexpensive planes and bought some good ones I see both the value of handplanes in my work (for almost every furniture project) and the reason why I should pay the money for good quality hand planes.

I scoffed at dust control until I noticed what I was coughing up.

The opposite example is the razor blade plane. Seemed like a useful tool for removing glue squeezeout, etc. but I'm still trying to figure out what it's useful for. I should have scoffed more at that one.

Doug
gMike said:

Fein Multitool for me. I bought it for a specific job. The longer I have it the more I use it for those oddball things that nothing else works for.

Me also. Then I bought a corded generic version and fell in love. Perfect timing as I had to cut a double band joist and sill plate out on my house. Short work for this tool. Fast forward a couple of years and I bought a cordless version. You think you grabbed one a bunch before, buy a cordless version. That thing hardly ever got put away. The thing is the blades, buy the best blades you can find, it makes a world of difference.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Hand-stitched cabinet rasp.

I always preferred edge tools, something I could resharpen. I had had hit-and-miss experiences with machine-cut rasps, but eventually I needed to shape some tight curves that only a rasp could handle. I bought a couple of the Czech-made rasps from LV, and wow--I use them frequently now! One of these days I might upgrade to a French-made one, but I'm totally sold on these things.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bibliophile 13 said:

Hand-stitched cabinet rasp.

I always preferred edge tools, something I could resharpen. I had had hit-and-miss experiences with machine-cut rasps, but eventually I needed to shape some tight curves that only a rasp could handle. I bought a couple of the Czech-made rasps from LV, and wow--I use them frequently now! One of these days I might upgrade to a French-made one, but I'm totally sold on these things.

I'll agree about rasps too. Recommended to me by fellow woodnetters, fun to use and they get the job done.
Ag
I'll add the Foredom to the list. Thought the Dremel was a good tool, and Foredom overpriced. Bought it, and was hooked.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Lee mounts the saws with Pegas blades. I'm pretty sure this is his go to guy but Joel sells them at TFFW too.

Generally they are a saw a person will hem and haw about the $$ but once they use them, the $$$ is easy
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Festool Domino, I had a Jet mortiser and it didn't do a lot of what I needed. Then every one was pushing biscuit joiners and I bought a Lamello after a demo. Worked great for aligning sheet goods, particularly ply, but it was a one trick pony. I heard about the Domino but didn't see anything impressive but the price. Went to a Demo day then got a loner; dumped the Jet and the Lamello.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
1. Card scraper was a game changer for me
2. I've fallen in love with a Gyokucho 372; best Japanese saw ever.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here