What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but
Anything green from Germany
Starrett combo and double squares. Perfectly accurate every single time, and I use one or both on nearly every project. Not used every time, but a big game changer for me is the Festool Domino. The thing saves so much time, and it's deadly accurate.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Pocket hole screws.

I was hesitant that the end of the board wouldn't just break off when pressure was applied, but hundreds of joints later, it's probably my most popular joint.
All of them!!!!
Yeti Ramblers

I can woodwork all morning and my coffee is still hot in the afternoon.

Makes it so I don't need a coffee pot out in the shop.

Seriously though. This think works so good the govt is going to put a tax on it soon.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
My credit card. Whooda thunk I could tell somebody 16 numbers and an expiration date and they'd send me just about any tool I'd need.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Since you started the OP talking about Woodpeckers stuff, I'll just say that I look at their "one time tool" offerings and just chuckle. They're cool, but way too many $ for the problem they're trying to solve (if there was even really a problem). However, my favorite measuring tool is the 6" Pocket Paolini Rule. It gets pulled out of my apron pocket very often when I'm in the shop...as a rule, depth gauge, mini square, etc. They have reintroduced it several times, but I think they should make it a production item.
Bob
Looking back I would say proper dust collection has probably made the hobby so much better for me.

But after that I'd say drum sander. Especially since I make a lot of cutting boards as gifts. I looked at a buddy of mine cross eyed for getting one before a surface planer several years ago, but his logic was "look how much sanding I can get done with good dust control" and now I agree too. Of course it has to have dust collection hooked up to work well
Benny

My rectangle maker.
Makes squares, rectangles, triangles etc. to ~.001". (NFS, no plans either)
I thought it might work; it did. But used up 4 months to find out.

I make jigs. The thing quickly mills a bandsawn coupon from ~1" -13" x up to 22" long x up to 1.5" thick.
Whether aluminum, plastic, MDF or wood. Polices its own messes, work and motor on separate and independent carriages. Work cannot escape, trapped in 11/12 ways.
Used on nearly every piece I make.
Pat Warner
jussi said:

Anything green from Germany

agree. I got a used package deal for a Festool track saw with the Domino, sander, and the vacuum (I refuse to call it a 'dust extractor') that was the same price as just the track saw new. I didn't think any of them were worth the price, but I can't believe how useful they really are.