Sharkbites and grounding?
Does a sharkbite union create a dielectric break or a reliable conductor?

If a ground-wire jumper is required between inlet and outlet of water heaters, and around any meters or devices containing plastic then why wouldn't a jumper be necessary at a sharkbite connector if the copper line is being used as a ground?
Snipe Hunter said:

Does a sharkbite union create a dielectric break or a reliable conductor?

If a ground-wire jumper is required between inlet and outlet of water heaters, and around any meters or devices containing plastic then why wouldn't a jumper be necessary at a sharkbite connector if the copper line is being used as a ground?

Have used them, though not for the purpose you describe.

I don't see how they could possibly conduct...the fittings I used appeared to be all PVC (or some other plastic) will rubber or silicone seals on the ends. Run a continuity check with a multi-tester. Should tell you everything you need to know.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I would do that if I didn't have water in the pipes. I don't have any extra sharkbites floating around.
try it anyway, water isn't that great of a conductor
EricU said:

True in fact water doesn't conduct electricity at all. The dirt and minerals in it conduct the electricity.
I thought water lines were no longer supposed to be used for ground? (but not claiming to know that...so excuse me if that is incorrect)
using them as a ground certainly is a bad idea. People have been using plastic for repairs for many decades now

Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]EricU said:

True in fact water doesn't conduct electricity at all. The dirt and minerals in it conduct the electricity.

[/blockquote]

when I say "water" I mean the amalgam of chemicals that comes out of my tap, not the pure stuff. I am too lazy to make sure my math is correct, but it looks like even salt water is a million times less conductive than copper, and salt water is 1000 times more conductive than tap water
I can appreciate you mentioning this. The pipes should be grounded.
Nothing like grabbing a pipe and feeling that tingling shock, then reading 120v from pipe to ground.
There is always the possibility of a wire shorting to the pipe or the pipe connected to an appliance that shorts out.

I have a habit of back handing unknown pipes before I grab them.
They would break any type ground as the internals and sleeve are plastic of some type
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

They are brass bodied with metal spring fingers that grip the pipe and can provide continuity. However the manufacturer does not guarantee it and I would not rely on it.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry