I Found a Miter Box
I was browsing an antique store the other day with my wife and oldest daughter, showing my daughter how to look for construction details and evidence of handwork on antique furniture. I wasn't exactly searching for tools, but I ran across this miter box. I walked away from it, but the next day I came back for it.

I paid $40 for it, saw and all. The saw needs sharpening, of course, but I think all the parts are there. The saw moves fine, and I know I can get it all cleaned up and working smoothly.

There are the remains of a label on the box, but it's way past being legible now. What exactly do I have here?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
It appears to be of Millers Falls manufacture, and the extra parts on either end might indicate that it's a Langdon. You won't be disappointed with it - clean it up and put it to work.

r2
This seems to be a manual for it.

Manual for Millers Falls Langdon Acme 74C 75C and others
Correction, you found a GOOD miter box. And paid little for it.

Good snag!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Good price, good buy. How deep is the saw plate?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Great find.

There is an website that illustrates rehabbing these boxes. It goes into detail about positioning the brass bushing and angle stop correctly--if it is ever necessary to adjust it.

I have rehabbed more than a few, and would be glad to help with any questions you may have.

Eric.
Glad to hear I got a good one! And thanks for the link to the instruction manual! That's exactly what I have, the 72C, I think.

I'm pretty sure the saw is 4" deep under the spine, which is plenty of depth for the work I'll be doing with it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Glad to help. Cheers.
Got a good one! Doesn't look like any repairs have been made (welds!!!), just needs a bit of cleaning. Good price too!

I've posted here a month or so ago, that if any Cleveland area Galoots are looking for a miter box, there is a Langdon, in nice shape at HGR Industrial Machinery for $29.00. No saw, or maybe I just didn't see the saw in the junk around the box, but the miter box looked nice (I don't need anymore-have over 17 complete and a few for parts). With the saw missing, I bet HGR would take $10 for it. They have a comprehensive website, with a woodworking section (industrial power tools) and that is where the miter box is located.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
LIL.

Just an observation, while Langdon boxes are excellent, so are the Stanley 200 and 300 series, equally well made and equal in performance. Again, what to look for is cast iron construction (although Stanley made an aluminum one with the same design, which I've never seen) and all the parts being present, to the extent you can find one complete as many times the stops are missing; and most importantly, no welds in critical places (i.e., a weld on the foot of the box is not important for a user). They are out there. A saw in good condition is great to have, but there are replacement saws readily available, vintage and new.

Here's a link to a 1934 Stanley catalog on Issac's site (again, very generous of Issac to preserve these Rose Tools catalogs online) where on or about page 128 of the catalog you will find descriptions of the Stanley boxes. Worth familiarizing yourself before the hunt and buy.

Blackburn Tools Website Link
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis