Best drum sander?
Friend is shopping for a drum sander for some flat panels he will be making. I think the largest will be 24".

I've sent him some videos on the Jet and Supermax sanders, what others should he consider? It will be a small production situation, not a hobby shop so he needs something reliable and robust.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Jet 16/32 is $971+

SuperMax 19/38 is $1399+

I did the comparison a year ago, plus was lucky enough to have a dealer in Cinci where I could run both of them. I bought the SuperMax, and for my $$$$$ I would have gone to 2K if needed. I guess if you want to buy in low, but you do get what you pay for, with this tool seemingly more than most others. My $0.02.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Grizzly has several options also.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If I ever get another one it will be the Supermax 19/38. I rate it currently the best of the open end sanders. That doesn't discount the 16/32, but I think the Supermax has more bag for the buck. For a long time I thought my choice would be a Jet 22/44 oscillator thinking it would solve some of the problems with a DS (lines on the wood). Then I starting reading reports that the lines just became snake tracks instead of straight, so I gave up on it...no sense buying a more complicated machine if there's no advantage. But a 22/44 without the oscillation is worthy of consideration.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What's the longest and widest panel he will be sanding???? With that info I may have better and cheaper option. 40 years in the business and used sanders you couldn't imagine.
I have been happy with the Supermax. Based on a recent thread, I have started "near finishing" with 180G. Lines are visible in a raking light, but sand out easily.

I would recommend against the optional cabinet stand. With the feed tables installed, the cabinet door is basically inaccessible without getting on the floor. Storing 3" high sandpaper rolls in a 20" high cabinet is a waste of space.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
If it's a production operation, no matter how small, I would not get a cantilevered drum sander. You want something a lot more robust than any of the ones I've seen. I'd get a Woodmaster. Made in the USA, too. They make a 26" model, as well as larger ones, in a single drum unit, and double drum units starting at 38".

John
Have one of the original Performax 16/32" sanders and absolutely love it. It is a workhorse in my shop and do not know how I can get along without it. Money well spent. I do not have the room for a supermax but if i did I probably would go that way. Good luck. Check Craig's list.
John T.
Yes a Woodmaster is a good choice, also look at Woodtek dual drum sander.
http://woodworker.com/25-dual-drum-sande...mp;searchmode=2
I have the Jet 22/44 non-oscillating. I love it. Have had it for about 4 years, no issues.
If it ain't broke, take it apart anyway to see how it use to work........................