Purchasing a Sawstop and Dust Collector
I sold my power tools several years ago and now I'm setting up a new shop. My first purchase will be a Saw Stop table saw, 3 hp, cabinet saw, with a 36" T-glide extension table. I also need a dust collector, but have not yet decided on the exact setup.

My new shop will be in a three car garage at my weekend house near Canyon Lake, Texas.

I'm looking for advice on the Sawstop model I've chosen, any comments?

Thanks!
You are welcome to come by and see my setup. It sounds like similar floor space. NE of Marble Falls. Added the Sawstop sliding table over Christmas.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
I bought the 3HP PCS SawStop in 2012. 36" Biesemeyer-style fence, which I guess they call the T-glide fence. It does everything I need it to do, and at times, that's quite a bit.

Last summer I used it to mill rough cut western red cedar for a pergola and gate arbor. Ripped about 80 16-foot lengths of two-inch thick cedar boards. Also use it for 10/4 hardwoods in making rocking chairs. It's also precise enough for small items like boxes in which I put thin splines.

I love the fence. It's tough, locks securely, moves smoothly, and holds its accuracy very well.

It's a great saw. Since I bought the saw, we moved into a property where I have a dedicated shop. Disassembly, moving into storage, moving out of storage, and reassembly couldn't have been easier. The saw was not fussy about getting back into precise alignment after the move.

I also bought dust collection when I bought the saw. I got the 2hp Harbor Freight DC. Still have it. It does what I need.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Just ordered the sawstop professional cabinet saw, 52 inch fence, from the local San Antonio Woodcraft. It's great to get a shop back in operation again!!

Now I have my eye on a Powermatic 12 inch jointer with helix head!
ahem.

NPDH.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Danny in Houston said:

...52 inch fence...

... Powermatic 12 inch jointer with helix head...

That's not allowed! You didn't ask about a 52" fence or an aircraft carrier!

You musta been standing in the store when you asked...

Have fun! I'd love to have a jointer like that.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
WxMan said:

[blockquote]Danny in Houston said:

...52 inch fence...

... Powermatic 12 inch jointer with helix head...

Have fun! I'd love to have a jointer like that.

[/blockquote]

I might be the only one, but I was more jealous of the weekend house with 3 car garage.
I am truly blessed. My wife said I could have two spots, just leave her enough room to park her SUV.

Danny in Houston said:

I sold my power tools several years ago and now I'm setting up a new shop. My first purchase will be a Saw Stop table saw, 3 hp, cabinet saw, with a 36" T-glide extension table. I also need a dust collector, but have not yet decided on the exact setup.

My new shop will be in a three car garage at my weekend house near Canyon Lake, Texas.

I'm looking for advice on the Sawstop model I've chosen, any comments?

Thanks!

You will be really happy with that saw. It is a good solid saw and should do anything you need. It is the same saw and fence I have and I have yet to find anything it couldn't do. If you plan to work with a lot of sheet goods you may want the 52" fence though if you have he room.

In my shop I actually have three dust collectors. I have a big dust collector that services my jointer, planer and bandsaws. I have a small 1hp dust collector I picked up used really cheap that services my Sawstop and one of my router tables. I have another small 1 hp dust collector that services my main router table. It probably seems like a waste but I didn't want to run the duct work across the floor and coming from the ceiling would have lead to issues. I guess my point is the dust collection with the Sawstop is very effective. Even a powerful shop vac works pretty well so you don't need a huge dust collector for the saw. Now if you plan to add quite a few tools in the future and will just be running one dust collector I would get at least a 2 hp unit. My main dust collector is a Grizzly 2hp with the pleated filter and an Oneida Super Dust Deputy which works really well.
I have a sawstop contractor saw with the cast iron tables and the 52" fence kit. great saw. I don't think it's functionally that different than the PCS model, but I bought my saw years ago long before the PCS came out. The fence is great, too.

I have the saw connected to a 3HP Oneida cyclone on the wall and it sucks dust through a 6" duct. I really don't see any dust anywhere in the shop when using the saw.