Hand planes...where to begin?
Alright...I'm working on setting up a shop again and while it would be nice to have a jointer, I feel that is one item that I can do without in terms of floor space. I have a lunchbox planer, but getting the first face of a board flat will be the challenge. So I think to myself, "Self, why not get the tools you need to do the work by hand?" So that is what I am here for...

Having never properly used any hand planes, where would one start for:

A) Best plane(s) for jointing boards up to 12" wide
B) How to spot good quality planes while not breaking my wallet
C) Plane care/maintenance/setup/etc.

As you could imagine, there is a lot of information available out there. The problem is I don't know what's good and what's not because I don't have anything to base it on. I'd love to get some hands-on time with someone close to me, but I don't know anyone that works with hand planes either. If someone here has that ability and would be willing, I'd love to come to their shop and learn.

I know there are so many kinds of planes out there...I'd like to get a core few planes that will do most of what I need (at least to start). I'm sure it's a slippery slope just like any new aspect of turning. At least help me get my feet wet and let me wade in deeper from there.
Jason Woodford

I happen to have a full set and once they had one bad winter of moisture they never real look good again. - Scott Whiting 6/24/10

I live in a constant state of horny. She's very obliging. Why mess with it? - Snipe Hunter
Your library will have books on this subject. If you're not a library guy, your local independent (or even chain) bookstore will have books on this subject. If you live in ranch/mountain country and the nearest library or bookstore is a day's drive away, online booksellers have books on this subject.

The most accessible book on the subject is probably Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book."

While it will require you to learn early-20th-century British English (assuming you're not already familiar with that particular dialect), "Planecraft" (the Clifford/Hampton version, not the later Sainsbury remake) will give you a comprehensive look at hand planing from the period when it was a standard professional technique.

There are others. Those will get you started.

While you're at the library, look over the other woodworking books, and check out anything that looks like it's got hand tool content. Somehow, beginners to hand tools think hand planes are how everything gets done; but, in fact, there are a lot of other hand tools that do things planes can't. The longer I work wood by hand, the more respect I have for the simple chisel, for instance. The same is true with saws.

And there are layout tools essential to hand woodworking that are much less critical for power work.

And so on.
I don't intend to become a hand tool devotee, but I have developed a recent interest in hand tools and have had many of the same questions as you. I am not an authority on the subject, by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a few comments from my perspective, as a fellow hand tool noob;

First off, I'd like to suggest a couple books that I have found helpful. Garret Hack's "The Handplane Book" link

and "How To Choose And Use Bench Planes And Scrapers" by John English. link

They are good references that you can go back to time and time again to reinforce what you have learned.

Good used handplanes are readily available at flea markets, antique shops, estate sales and auctions relatively cheap. It takes a little patience and time though. First you have to learn what to look for and that's where the books come in. Learn as much as possible about what you want to buy before heading out rust hunting or you could end up spending good money on not so good tools. Be prepared to invest time & effort in learning how to restore and tune your flea market finds. It's a good way to learn the anatomy and function of your handplanes intimately. If you don't already know how, you will need to learn how to sharpen plane irons. This is a whole discipline unto itself and also lots of resources our there to help with that.

Of course, you could bypass all the time and effort spent on searching out and restoring old hand planes and buy new ones. Depends on your budget and willingness to be patient and build your tool set over time. The monetary investment is much greater though, so you will have to decide what your interests and priorities are. Good luck!
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Here is an online site which is loaded with good info., in particular with reference to Stanley planes'The Superior Works: Patrick's Blood and Gore Beginning of the Saga' . When your ready to purchase and if your looking at used, check the hand planes for sale in the Tool Swap n Sell area. A couple of individuals will list some really nice planes and reasonable prices.
My personal favorites are the Millers-Falls metal hand planes with the 2-piece cap. Followed closely by the Stanley/KeenKutter planes new enough to have the frog adjusting screw or the square-side Bedrocks.
The Veritas planes are also excellent (and I hear that the LN are as well), but I would recommend starting and learning on the vintage planes and then adding premium planes or specialty planes as you learn what you want to make and the challenges that you need to overcome for the wood types that you are working.
The third generation Woodriver planes are also decent, but avoid the first (and probably the second) generation of them.

I know that I am going to overlook someone here and my apologies in advance. There are a number of people here that offer quality tools here in SnS for excellent prices. They include Admiral, SteveF, DaveParkis, enjuneer, BaileyNo5, and TablesawTom. When these folks tell you something is crispy or in excellent condition, believe them. Tom's ground planes may seem a bit pricier because of all the work that he does, but they are well worth it. Some of these folks will also sharpen the plane blade for a small fee. When you are just starting on hand tools, that can be a very worthwhile investment so that you can see how a sharp plane should cut.

MF uses a different plane numbering system, but they have equivalents to the Stanley sizes and I am going to be lazy and just use those.

For using hand planes, the first thing that you need is a way to hold the lumber so that you can plane it. That can be as simple as saw horses with the end of the board against a wall or as fancy as a solid bench.

If the lumber is truly rough-cut then you may want a scrub plane.

Beyond that, individual preferences for priorities and style of work come into play.
My personal suggestion (surely to be corrected by those more knowledgeable) is to start with (or follow the scrub with):
#5 jack, then
#7 jointer, then
#4-1/2 smoother.

Learning what sharpening technique works for you and becoming proficient at using it is part of the learning curve. Just spending more money on more sharpening methods will not give you sharper tools. You have to learn to use them. DAMHIKT
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Note that in the handtool world everything depends on sharp. You will need a good shortening kit before you can go very far. It is cheap and easy to start with sandpaper but may not serve for the long haul. So study the sharpening subject as much as you do planes, chisels and saws.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I think the suggestions so far are good ones. Ivan's list is pretty good, but I would change the 4 1/2 to a 4 for cost savings. I would also add at least one block plane to that list. If you will only have one block plane, make it a low angle with an adjustable mouth. I would also add that if you buy a plane from most of the sellers in Ivan's list, the iron will be sharp and the plane ready to work. You might want to adjust the plane to your preferences, but that should be about it.

Good luck and welcome to the slippery slope.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
chekc this out from the library, amazon, or wherever you get books

and check out our Own Cian Perez' site with articles from many of our members.

Check back with any specific questions. The guys here will take care of you. They did the same for me years ago.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I have Hack's book and also Christopher Schwarz" "Hand Plane Essentials which I have found more valuable. He covers just what you are interested in. It is out of print so a bit expensive ($48 on Amazon just now), but has, I believe, all you will need to know.
Lots of good information here. Reading from my phone is less than ideal so I'll reread the responses again from my PC and go accordingly. I think I got what I am looking for (something of a starting point) save for someone close to me saying come on over .

Thanks!
Jason Woodford

I happen to have a full set and once they had one bad winter of moisture they never real look good again. - Scott Whiting 6/24/10

I live in a constant state of horny. She's very obliging. Why mess with it? - Snipe Hunter