Gouges
Can you (me) use a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl.
Is it safe,dangerous,ok to use? What should I watch for if I use one.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
It depends on what type of spindle gouge you're talking about, but, generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure others will chime in too. I turned my first couple of bowls with one because I didn't know the difference, so it can be done. However, it was pretty hairy.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
I have used a 3/8ths inch spindle gouge, then got a bowl gouge, much better.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You can, BUT...

The bevel angle on a typical spindle gouge won't allow you to reach to the bottom of a bowl safely. Once you modify a spindle gouge to do that, it's really now a bowl gouge. Also, bowl gouges tend to have a deeper flute, which enables you to remove more waste. The flues on spindle gouges are shallower.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A spindle gouge is a great detailing tool, but the bevel is way to shallow on it and the flute not right to do it properly.

With my 1/2" or 5/8" bowl gouges I do the whole bowl with them. The steel is much thicker with a bowl gouge also.

Thanks for asking the question.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It is dangerous never use a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl, I know a guy that has 4 stitches in his forhead from using one.
Never say never scroll down to Russ Fairfield’s pictures.

http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml

You often find the gouge Russ is using sold as a roughing gouge in spindle tool sets.

Del said in his video only difference between a bowl gouge & spindle gouge was bevel angle you put on the gouge. Back when Del made that video lot of frugal turners only use spindle gouges & scrappers to turn bowls. Del worked with Bob Stockdale who took a carving chisel and turned bowls & spindles with it. Eventually Bob met Jerry Glaser and the Bob Stockdale gouge became a genuine turning tool. Glaser Hitch now sells that gouge as a spindle gouge for $179 or $219 depending upon steel.

http://www.amazon.com/BOWL-TURNING-DVD-W...B000UTJ2PU

I have used both 3/8” & ½” spindle gouge to turn small bowls and may grab my ½” gouge for turning outside a bowl when dealing with a trouble spot. Yes own 4 bowl gouges with different bevel angles & heavy duty scrapers.

Have a modified a worn out 3/8” spindle gouge similar to picture David Ellsworth posted in link above. Have normal handle and use when reverse turning cleaning up bottom of bowl. Have another worn out 3/8” spindle gouge similar to Ellsworth/Drozda for turning ornaments & finials.

So while can use spindle gouge to turn shallow bowls better use bowl gouge for better tool control and reach over the tool rest the deeper you go!

Nice read!
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm
Bill
So many grinds, so little time.
Great info, thanks
Wildwood said:

Del said in his video only difference between a bowl gouge & spindle gouge was bevel angle you put on the gouge.

And that's the key. A spindle roughing gouge is typically 45 deg. A spindle detail gouge is anywhere from 35 to 40 deg. A bowl gouge is more like 60 deg. If a spindle gouge with an unmodified bevel angle is used, the opportunity for a catch is greatly increased. It's very hard, if not impossible, to rub the bevel when getting near the bottom of a bowl. Since the reach to the bottom of a bowl often extends the tool pretty far from the tool rest, the results of a catch can be catastrophic.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I use my Easy Wood Finisher to hollow the bowl. I have tried to use a bowl gouge but can't get it to work right. Catches too much. I'm taking a class in March so I will learn then.
Don