Inaminate Objects Think Evil Thoughts
Okey, I admit it. I am terrible housekeeper. And my shop is cluttered, including the attic. And I swear that when I drop something it has in its mind to go hide. Almost everything that hits the floor temporarily disappears. Just last night I was hogging out waste with a Forstner bit jn the drill press prior to putting the chisels to work squaring the corners on a board. I stopped and changed bits, setting a 1 1/2" bit aside on the drill press table to use a smaller bit. Turned out to be a mistake as I soon heard the 1 1/2" bit clatter as it was knocked off. Not hard to find something that big, right? So I finished what I was doing on the drill press and began looking for the dropped bit. Couldn't spot it anywhere. Went through two boxes of odds and ends, no bit. Looked and looked for half an hour and missed almost the first quarter of the football game. So I gave up reluctantly (I become obsessed with finding lost stuff. Why is it always in the last place I look?). Anyway after the game I went back to the shop for something else and began looking again. Soon I found it. Can you spot it?

I actually had raised the handle on the metal band saw earlier in my search without seeing it.
Yup it's right near the corner leveler thingy. Spotted it right away. I am the finder in our family and most places I go.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
If you leaned over to look you would cut yourself on it.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Betcha can't do that twice.

Years ago, my step-daughter discovered my wedding ring in the console of my car. I had taken it off when I played a softball game. She accidently dropped it in the garage and lost it. We looked everywhere, including outside the garage, in the grass, behind boxes, bicycles, etc. It was lost for a good 3 years. When I moved to a new home, I found the ring. It had somehow bounced inside the plastic foot protector on one of the legs of a WorkMate that I had folded up in a corner.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I missed the whole football game because the remote to my cable box is hidden somewhere in my shop and I wanted to work more than I wanted to sit on the couch.
Yep, spotted it right off.

Now why can't I ever do that in my own shop?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Yep, easy to spot.

Here are some puzzles you can practice with to develop your eye: http://www.boredpanda.com/find-the-panda...-openlist/
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
For me it was more embarassing than my OP shows. The picture is staged to show what happened; where the bit had landed, in the hand hole in the carriage on the metal band saw. I had looked and looked without seeing it there, right in front of me and had thought it might have landed on the band saw table so I had lifted the carriage to the vertical position without using the handle (I think) to look under it. The bit stayed in the handle in the upright position without falling out, and that is where it was when I found it.