Replacement 50 gal water heater propane
Who do we like these days in replacement 50 gallon propane-fire water heaters? Standard vented, nothing fancy required - just reliable.

SWMBO was complaining the present 18 year old WH isn't producing enough hot water now. Pulled the dip tube (fine), flushed it (red flakes) - now guaranteed to crap out within a week

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I got 13+ years out of the one from Lowes.

Course mine died on a Sunday, so I put the updated model I had from Lowes back in. It was about the only option I could find that I could install the same day.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Update: settled on a model of Rheem (Pro Prestige) but can't find a local business that will sell me just the unit w/o install (install quotes ~$1400).

Looks like I'm gonna buy it from HD for <$700, install it myself and pay my propane supplier $80 to make the gas hookup.

-Mark
Found my replacement nat gas WH on CL...from a plumbing supply house looking to get rid of overstocks...1st quality, never been installed, still in sealed box...less than 1/2 price of new...my WH was fully functional, just 30 years old, figured why not upgrade? Most difficult part was getting the old one out
MKepke said:

Who do we like these days in replacement 50 gallon propane-fire water heaters? Standard vented, nothing fancy required - just reliable.

SWMBO was complaining the present 18 year old WH isn't producing enough hot water now. Pulled the dip tube (fine), flushed it (red flakes) - now guaranteed to crap out within a week

-Mark

I currently have a 40 gallon tank but want to go to 50 gallon. Did you already have a 50 gallon? Did you need to increase the size of your flue pipe?
I am thinking just the opposite...with the higher efficiency of the newer units, and the water saving devices on most fixtures, seems like the need for smaller WH is more likely...Now if you have added a BR, MIL suite or an increased demand of some sort, then that is a completely different issue...
that's crazy. I replaced mine, and the only reason it took longer than it should is I had to make a couple trips to the hardware store for plumbing parts.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

thooks said:

You're still saving about $700 on paying someone to do it.

A typical water heater replacement will run $2000 in a couple more years.

That's what mine cost, but I was converting from electric to NG. They had to run a new flue, etc. Gas line had been previously run. Also, Fairfax County requires an inspection on a gas WH install/replacement.

I'll change it myself next time, but this was a great deal more involved than I wanted to get.
chris
doobes said:

<snip>
Also, Fairfax County requires an inspection on a gas WH install/replacement.

I'll change it myself next time, but this was a great deal more involved than I wanted to get.

My county in NC also requires an inspection UNLESS you make a like-for-like replacement (size, fuel, location, etc) AND the installation is done by a licensed plumber.

-Mark
vacuum cleaner bags.....what are they going to do with all the revenue lost to bagless vacuums.....

Mark