Wooden plane refurb
I recently picked up a wooden plane. It is a longish plane i want to use as a jointer. When i removed the iron, i saw that it was crowned, and very assymetrical. So, I reground the blade square, touched it up and tried to use it. Well, turns out blade will only cut on one side. The reason the blade was unsymmetrical was because the bottom of the plane was not true!

My question: can I just run the bottom of the plane over my jointer? Seems like that would true it up.

Roger
Personally I do not think you can hurt the plane by running the plane over your jointer. You can't hurt what doesn't work, by anything you do.

But the only other thing that I can think of is that the bedding for the iron itself can be off. If that is the case I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. Just use it as a decoration and get a different one. They are very reasonable around here as far as cost goes.

Tom
Roger, clamp the plane upside down in a vise, use a long (metal) plane to take fine shavings, and use winding sticks until the sole is flat and true.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

Roger, clamp the plane upside down in a vise, use a long (metal) plane to take fine shavings, and use winding sticks until the sole is flat and true.

Regards from Perth

Derek

So is it your Birthday? The symbol in front of your name says so. Assuming it is, Happy Birthday!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've done that before. Take a light cut.
Birthday is 1/21/53

Didn't see symbol.....

Roger
Derek Cohen said:

Regards from Perth

Derek

^^^

with one additional note. Depending on which way the wear area is angled at the throat, you may end up opening the mouth as you plane the sole. For a jointer, you may not care. On the off chance that it presents an issue, be prepared to inlay a new throat piece.

Have fun!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Oh, I amcertain that the mouth will get a bit larger. Not happy,but likely not an issue for jointer as you said.

Roger
Bob Smalser covered this a few years ago.

Remember when cobblers would resole boots?
Same can be done for woodies...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/tRestore/plan...lanes1.asp
Thanks. I miss the days that Bob frequented here.