Flattening Large Slabs with Router
I've purchased some very large slabs for delivery in a few months, and I am now in the planning stages of building a jig to flatten them. One slab is 3" by 42" by 14 feet long. I have several others that are curved, about 6 feet long and 3 feet wide.

I've flatten a couple of smaller slabs before, and was able to build a sled on my workbench. I was going down the route of building large torsion boxes when I cam across this photo on the web:

I like this approach, much easier. As long as the slab is shimmed to the floor in a stable position that cannot move, and the box is shimmed and leveled correctly, I see no need to build giant torsion boxes. Might be a good idea to hot glue (a lot of hot glue!) the slab and the jig to the floor. The fail would be if something came loose during the middle of the work, it would very very difficult to get everything re-aligned.

PS - My goal is to keep the slabs as thick as possible, with one surface very flat, the other only flat enough to provide for fastening a metal base.

I'm also thinking about making the sled long enough to mount the router tight on the sled, then mounting a pole on the sled so I don't have to be bent over for so long, just move it back and forth using the pole while standing.

Thoughts?
I kinda like this approach.

Just a thought, if you built this set-up on a plywood subfloor it seems to me everything could be secured more easily...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Working on the floor, even just shimming would be very impossibly painful for me. I'd be thinking about a knock down set up that could be mounted on sawhorses. A wood I-beam(s), split in half or not, would support the slab nicely and give you room to shim.

Random thoughts.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Practical, but my back hurts just looking at that.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
PaulC said:

Practical, but my back hurts just looking at that.

The problem with having a large slab off the floor is you have to build a substantial structure to keep it rigid. I think I'll just focus on the router jib, make it almost like mopping the floor with a long handle so I can do it standing up?

If I were going to be doing lots of these in the future, I would build a dedicated table and jig, but for only 3-4 slabs.....
Danny in Houston said:

I think I'll just focus on the router jib, make it almost like mopping the floor with a long handle so I can do it standing up?

You're going to need some downward force on the router.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Does this make your back hurt?

I'll definitely want to include dust collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JwkF1FwpM
The first thing that jumped out at me was the cord... suspend it from the ceiling so you don't have to keep moving it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

The first thing that jumped out at me was the cord... suspend it from the ceiling so you don't have to keep moving it.

Ditto!
Benny

I'd try to get the slab to a workable height. Two short metal sawhorses, shim and secure the slab to the sawhorse. Two long jointed 2x8 on edge resting on the sawhorse parallel to the long side. Connect the short sides any method. the short ends aren't necessary. The 2x8 should be stiff enough to avoid sagging in the middle.

Not that I have ever done this.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.