Cleanest way to cut aluminum
Picked up these aluminum extrusions this weekend for $60. All but one are 80 x 80 mm. Sturdy, heavy, and pretty dang flat. I'm not sure of what I'm going to use them for yet. I'm thinking either for jigs or maybe a small CNC in the future. Probably will need more pieces for that however.

Very little experience working with metal. My question is what is the best way of cutting them cleanly. And is there a trick to it. Like the speed of cut, lubricant, etc? I have both a mitersaw (a dewalt slider that I use more for rough cutting) and a Ridgid metal cutoff saw. I'd like keep them as flat as possible so I'm trying to avoid anything that will weaken or warp them. Possibly by overheating? Also some of the pieces will probably be joined to one another so I'd like to keep the ends as square as possible. Thanks

If the metal cutter has an abrasive blade, I would NOT use that. A good carbide fine tooth blade in a miter saw will work ok. A negative rake or very small positive rake would be best. Cut very slow and have good eye protection since it will have small aluminum chips flying all around.

Those are 80/20 extrusions, very popular stuff to use to build projects out of. They have a store on ebay that you can get connectors, screws and other parts to build whatever you are looking forward to build.
carbide blade in a chop saw

I recently completed a project using 80/20 for the framework and that is how we cut all the material for the frame.

Safety glasses and ear protection a must, a full face shield is pretty much necessary as well.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The negative hook in a miter saw would be my choice as well. A reiteration of the safety gear is a must, especially the face shield.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
LU89M010

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I've cut miles of extruded aluminum using a 12 inch dewalt miter saw with a triple chip 60 tooth or 80 tooth blade.
+1 - Not only does it cut but it cuts real clean. Without a doubt wear safety glasses.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
EvilTwin said:

If the metal cutter has an abrasive blade, I would NOT use that.

Just to fill my curiosity, why not an abrasive blade. Is it dangerous, not clean finish, or some other reason.

Mike
Abrasive blades will clog with the "sawdust" almost immediately, ruining the blade and keeping you from completing your cut. As much as I don't like it, I'm with everybody else on this one. Carbide blade and a full face mask. Those chips are HOT when they stick to your face!
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Carbide blade on the miter saw works well. The Freud model above is a good example. There are dozens of different blade designs out there. Nearly any of them will cut anything but very often a specialized blade will do a better job. With that in mind, just look a blade like the Freud that is specifically labled for non-ferrous metals.

You will cut through that aluminum extrusion like butter. No bending or warping will occur. Most of the extrusion is just open space. It actually cuts easier than a comparable size block of wood.