Stabilization
I have a real nice shallow bowl that has a small inclusion on the exterior. I would like to add some color to fill the spot and to stabilize it.Short of using resin,what else can I use to mix the color in? I came up with CA or two part epoxy.Which would you recommend?
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
Nothing!
Bill
Really it depends on the size of the void and your preference. You can do anything from CA with sawdust to inlace nuggets to powdered metals. Or dyed or pigmented epoxies.
Have you ever used a fine coffee grind, it can be used to fill a void and does look a lot like bark, CA will harden it and you can sand it smooth and level.
I have used it at times, looks better than trying to hide it, as that always looks like a repair IMO
Have fun and take care
I was going to use powdered turquoise as a filler but was just sure what too use as a glue.Looks like will have to experiment with it.
CA will work then. You should experiment on the mixing though. Some people put CA in the void the add some powder and mix then let it dry. Some do the mixing away from the turning then smear it in the void
Angus said:

CA will work then. You should experiment on the mixing though. Some people put CA in the void the add some powder and mix then let it dry. Some do the mixing away from the turning then smear it in the void

I was thinking of mixing it up and spooging (technical term) it in and letting it cure.It is not too deep, I just want to fill the hole and make it pretty.
I've never used it but I've seen some pretty vibrant colors in turning using 6 minute epoxy and pearl pigment colors
Angus said:

I've never used it but I've seen some pretty vibrant colors in turning using 6 minute epoxy and pearl pigment colors

Good thought,I had not thought of that but will give it a try.
Make sure the epoxy you get cures clear. Some of them cure with a slight yellow tint. Also, wait several hours for it to cure so you can work it, don't expect to be able to sand it after 6 minutes.