Removing zinc plating from screws
Screws that show will look much nicer if you remove the zinc plating. There's been a lot of talk about the best way to do this. I found out yesterday that leaving them overnight in ordinary white vinegar does the trick. It's cheap and safe, too.
Muric Acid does the trick in a few seconds

If I want them darkened, I heat them up with a torch and drop them in a small container of BLO.
What's muric acid?
muriatic acid
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Toilet bowel cleaners work very quickly also. Disposal is easy too!

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Jonathan S said:

Jonathan

Specifically - WORKS

r2
Yes!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jonathan S said:

Jonathan

Dumb question: how long do you leave it in?

(From a guy with a case of 'The Works'.)
Not too long. The active ingredient in The Works is HCl aka muriatic acid. It will eat the steel if you leave it in more than a few minutes.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Some of the older screws may have been plated with cadmium which as I understand is very toxic..I think cadmium has been "outlawed" for that reason.......In any case, it would be wise to provide adequate ventilation when using the acid...And make sure to neutralize the acid left on the screws, in baking soda when the plating is removed...The steel can rust in minutes afterwards, so it's best to make sure they are oiled when finished.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset