Show Me Your Awl Handles
Several years ago I bought two awl kits (one scratch, one birdcage) from Bob Z. at Czeck Edge, but never made handles for them because I was having such a hard time drilling a straight hole. This past weekend a friend gave me his old bench top drill press, so I no longer have an excuse.

But, I'm wondering about the shape of the handles. Most of the handles I see look turned, but unless someone is secretly planning to give me a lathe, mine will need to be shaped with spokeshaves and rasps. I thought about possibly getting one of those kits that let you turn on a drill press, but it just reminds me of the Crazy Canadian guy using the wheel of his van as a lathe.

Any ideas?

By the way, if you're reading this and never heard of the Crazy Canadian guy, here's the video for your amusement:

Crazy Canadian

As always, thanks in advance

Steve
Red Green.
Just my 2 cents.
For the bird cage you may want a fairly short and stubby handle rounded to fit the palm of your hand. Better to twist with.
For the Awl either a longer slender handle to be used like a pencil or a thicker handle to be held more in the hand. That's just a preference of mine. Best of luck.
BontzSawWorks.net
Quote:

Any ideas?

Yep...how about a "tapered octagon"??? It wont roll off the bench and land point down on the concrete!!!

And you dont need a lathe.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

RonB1957 said:

Just my 2 cents.
For the bird cage you may want a fairly short and stubby handle rounded to fit the palm of your hand. Better to twist with.
For the Awl either a longer slender handle to be used like a pencil or a thicker handle to be held more in the hand. That's just a preference of mine. Best of luck.

Thanks Ron. I saw that the birdcage ones are shorter, but have never used one.

Steve
Timberwolf said:

Yep...how about a "tapered octagon"??? It wont roll off the bench and land point down on the concrete!!!

And you dont need a lathe.....

Thanks Jack. Tapered octagon sounds like a good way to start. I do need a lathe, but really need a bandsaw more.

Steve
A bandsaw is ONE machine I will never be without!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

He died in 2014 and not from "crazy"...

http://raisecancerawarness.weebly.com/my-story.html
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
My birdcage awl handle is octagonal--shaped without a lathe. It's very simple but comfortable. The facets make it easy to twist around. I'll try to take a couple of pictures later tonight and post them.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Look through here.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/stwood/li...amp;page=1

Some I made using ShopNotes awls
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020