Show Me Your Awl Handles
Rob Young said:

He died in 2014 and not from "crazy"...

http://raisecancerawarness.weebly.com/my-story.html

That's sad. I remember seeing hit at The Woodworking Show one year and he was wacky, but definitely entertaining.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
Bibliophile 13 said:

My birdcage awl handle is octagonal--shaped without a lathe. It's very simple but comfortable. The facets make it easy to twist around. I'll try to take a couple of pictures later tonight and post them.

Thanks Steve.
Stwood_ said:

Look through here.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/stwood/li...amp;page=1

Some I made using ShopNotes awls

Nice. Thanks for that. Interesting shapes that I hadn't seen before. By the way, that scrub oak burl is stunning! I have some interesting pieces of wood from Justin Tyson and was going to use some of that, but the look of the burl is pretty compelling.

Steve
Okay, here you go.

As I said above, the handle is octagonal in cross-section, though that's hard to see with the figured wood. Plus, I've relieved the edges, so it's hard to see the facets.

Here's a tip on making handles like this (which I got from The Joiner and Cabinet Maker). You don't have to be able to drill your hole dead-straight. You begin with an oversized block of wood for the handle and drill it as straight as you can by eye. Then you affix the blade in the hole (I used JB Weld), hold the blade in your vise, and shape the handle plumb with the blade using your choice of tools (spokeshave, rasp, file, whatever). It's not as scary as it sounds.

You could easily make a shorter, stubbier handle if you wanted. I just happen to prefer a thinner one that feels more like a chisel.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks Steve. I like the shape. Like the Pecan as well.

I actually have ferrules that I was going to try to attach, but I can see from yours that they may not be necessary. Just waiting for the temperature to pop up by a few degrees so that I can go out to the garage and give it a shot.

Steve
I made this from an old triangular file a while back. It was test piece made out of scrap walnut, I was planning on making redoing it in something fancy like coco, but never got around to it. Probably never will. Works just fine.

--------------------
"Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."
I dont think that guy is Canadian, didnt hear him once say A in a sentence. such as sunday go to meeting car A
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
That's a great use for a worn-out file, ncosman!
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
JustinTyson said:

That's a great use for a worn-out file, ncosman!

Yup, and a nice handle for those with a lathe.

Justin, I was thinking a piece of the hickory you sent me. Still saving the apple for something more worthy.

Steve

I call the lower handle my "Shaker peg"...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset