Branding Iron Recommendation?
Tried the search function, but it came back with all kinds of silliness, so if this is a repeat, my apologies.

I need to start putting a brand on my piece that I give to clients as house-warming gifts (realtor). There is a pretty wide range of options I found poking around on the net, but was wondering if anyone had any experiences, good/bad or otherwise, with these devices.

I was thinking electric because when I go into production, I usually make 25-30 pieces at a time (cutting boards, serving trays, and so on).

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Charlie
I got an electric one from this place recently. It does take some practice

http://branding-irons.biz/

but overall Im happy with it. In hindsight I would have done my signature in a different font something cleaner and larger. Im still working on perfecting my method - holding it straight how long to press etc

However the branding Iron is really good. reasonably priced and Terry was great to deal with

I was given one that needs to be heated with a torch. At first I thought that was the best choice, because (I reasoned) the electric elements would burn out leaving you needing a new iron. Turns out a lot of them, maybe all, have replaceable elements. In the meantime I learned it's very hard to get exactly the right temp to use a manual heat model...still trying to figure out what the right temp is, if I ever get that I can use it much better (measure it with a non contact thermometer).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've used it only a few times but I'm happy with my electric Rockler branding iron.
Phydeaux
I had read something like that as well, Fred; that the electrics would be more appropriate for someone like me (has no clue how to do this stuff) in terms of making clear, precise brands.

Had not read anything about them burning out, though....
Those are pretty reasonably priced compared with some of the ones I have seen on line.... you are happy with the clarity of the brands it produces?
The clarity depends somewhat on my careful use. I test it on a piece of similar material a few times for the right heat and timing, then go for the real brand. My results are decent and would be better with more practice at the right amount of slight rocking and how long I hold it on the wood.
Phydeaux
CharlieD said:

Tried the search function, but it came back with all kinds of silliness, so if this is a repeat, my apologies.

I need to start putting a brand on my piece that I give to clients as house-warming gifts (realtor). There is a pretty wide range of options I found poking around on the net, but was wondering if anyone had any experiences, good/bad or otherwise, with these devices.

I was thinking electric because when I go into production, I usually make 25-30 pieces at a time (cutting boards, serving trays, and so on).

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Charlie

I had a custom electric branding iron made with my company logo and one with my signature. I will double check who made them for me. I do remember it was pretty reasonable considering it wasnt a generic design. I think it was brandingirons.com or brandnew industries but I could be wrong. I can post a picture of what the brand looks like. They did a really nice job with the detail.
I went with the one I did because it was totally customizable. I wanted a logo. Nice thing is if you burn a little much a little light sanding and it cleans up.

No rocking. Just press down

I do test on same wood first.

If your going to do this a lot don't skimp imho
Good advice for pretty much any tool we buy, IMHO...