I changed the gear oil on my planer...
I mentioned to a coworker that I needed to change the oil on my planer and slow it flows in the cool shop. He let me borrow his magnetic engine block heater. Stuck it on the planer for 15 minutes while I did other things and when I undid the plug the gear oil drained out like used motor oil from a warm engine.

it worked really well. I might have to find my own block heater as I can imagine other uses for it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I use an incandescent light bulb hung on the planer gear box to the same end.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

How long do you have to leave the light on to get the oil warmed up?
if it is over 50* ambient 1-2 two hours generally is enough
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I do mine in mid summer when its about 80 in the shop.

Filling it was a PIA, till I discovered one of these...

http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-an...61746.html

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)