Tricks to quiet a roller chain
I have a chain drive on my snowthrower, I want to say that maybe the chain is worn..but are there any procedures I could try as far as smoothing the teeth, etc, that would quiet the noise I'm hearing? Any old-school mods to the sprockets than allow the mesh to be nice and quiet or at least more quiet than this?

At about 1000 RPM auger speed this thing really howls, I'm hoping to lower the noise a little.

Here's a vid of the chain noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI_GzBEYwLY
Are you sure it's the chain making the noise and not one of the idler bearings or auger bearing? Hard to tell from the video, but your sprockets appear to be OK, e.g. no hooking in teeth. With the chain laying straight out, how much slack is in the overall length meaning first push end of chain to middle then pull out.

If you have more than 1/2" of overall slack chain is pretty worn and could stand replacement especially if it's the original chain. A model 37A snow thrower has some years on it.

If bearings are all OK, and chain is not worn, try some Chain & Cable lubricant versus just oil. C&C lube is heavier bodied has graphite to better cling and lubricate. Deere sells it or at your local Farm Supply store.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
The roller bearings in the sprockets have been cleaned and greased, roll very smooth. The auger bearings appear to be smooth with no slop but I have spares just in case.

The chain has some miles on it but the blower hasn't seen much use. I'm almost certain it's a #40 chain but those could be #50 sprockets..not sure.

I have a new #40 chain and I will try that tomorrow. I was thinking maybe there was a way to modify the gullets or teeth in just a small way that it would make it run smoother.

There's between 1/4" and 1/2" of slack in the chain.
gmcman said:

The roller bearings in the sprockets have been cleaned and greased, roll very smooth. The auger bearings appear to be smooth with no slop but I have spares just in case.

The chain has some miles on it but the blower hasn't seen much use. I'm almost certain it's a #40 chain but those could be #50 sprockets..not sure.

I have a new #40 chain and I will try that tomorrow. I was thinking maybe there was a way to modify the gullets or teeth in just a small way that it would make it run smoother.

There's between 1/4" and 1/2" of slack in the chain.

I don't recommend any modifications to your sprockets. Might inspect the sides for burrs and file smooth if needed, but nothing to gullets...would only cause a chain to wear and likely be noisier.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be #40 unless serial # is 115001-up then it could be #50.
Even with a new chain, lube with C&C lubricant
John Deere Parts 37/37A A 50 chain running in 40 sprockets will be noisy...guess I've never experienced the inverse.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Are you kidding? sound the same as my 8 foot blower. The 93 HP tractor makes far more noise than that. When I'm blowing snow I wear ear muffs under my carhart hood that is snapped tight. Really not a issue IMO BTW are you running the auger or the pto speed at 1000? Most say use 540 RPM Pto.

Bill
Lube. The rollers on the chain have loosened due to muse. Using a chain lube---probably several times or as necessary during use of the blower is about the only thing you can do to quiet the chain noise.

Or, replace the chain.
I guess the noise in the video doesn't do it much justice. The auger is at about 1000 RPM and the unit really howls. I have a new chain I can try but as far as the first use, should I soak the chain overnight, should I remove the factory lube which is somewhat tacky and I'm not sure if it's just used for storage or as a lube suitable for first use.

I know these units aren't perfectly quiet, but my gut says something else is going on...its not noisy, its almost deafening.

The noise is coming from the friction between the rollers and the bearing pins. One or the other(or both) have worn from lack of lube and are dry.

You can try lubing the rollers(being sure to get the lube inside the rollers) before replacing the chain. Dry graphite would be a good lube.
I will check out the existing chain as well, thanks for the pics.

Here's an older vid, this was last year before I tucked it away. With the chain off, the belt driven pulleys run dead silent as the idlers are brand new. I din't have it at max speed, maybe 2500 RPM but you can hear the echo from the housing...the volume is lower on the vid than in person.

The auger is smooth also...and I understand not to expect a very quiet snowblower but the howl is pointing to something.

When I get the new chain on I will take another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvf9N5LX3Qw
I'd like to see some sort of tensioner on that chain but they didn't spend the $ to put one on. The older video there is a little more chain slop than I'd like but not a big deal.

I'd start off by putting a good coat of chain lube on it. It's in a spray can from wally world, auto parts stores or dirt bike shops. There were a few that we really liked back when my friends son was racing pro class but I can't remember what they were.
Some chains are just noisy especially when new because the rollers are tight. Tried a o - ring chain once and that had so much friction it isn't even funny. There is allot of difference in quality of chain. Lots of cheap stuff out there.