New Turner
Had a LONG time friend stay the summer with me... I had given her a few bowls and boxes that I had turned. When I was off work for Thanksgiving, she asked me to show her how to turn, so off to the shop we went. We had bought some logs over the summer that I was going to use for turning, didn't have a clue what kinds of wood they were. Was from an estate sale and they didn't know what any of them were. So start cutting the logs up and had Cedar, Aspen, Walnut, Maple, Hickory and several more unknown..

Her very first one...

John

Well done on the teaching part.

She is learning very well and maybe soon have her own lathe and posting here.

You also have some very nice wood there too. I love turning wood with knots in it. I think it give the turning a lot of Character to it.

I look forward to seeing more in the future.
The second one in the picture with the bark on the sides what wood is that?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The first post with the 4 photos, they are all Hickory.. the 2nd post, first one is Aspen, 2nd is Walnut and 3rd is unknown.. Very beautiful, very hard wood.

She was so fun and easy to teach.. no stranger to woodworking as she had taken wood shop when she was in High School. I kept telling her how calming it was when I turn the lathe on and watch the chips fly.. Well she soon learned what I was talking about.

It was a great healing time for her... My job now is to find more wood before she comes to visit again..