It's Snowblower Season
Earlier in the Fall, I pulled the snowblower out of storage so I could fire it up, make sure it was ready for winter. I put a little gas in it and tried to start it. I pulled & pulled & pulled. Shed is 100' away from the house, with no electric, so I pulled a few more times before pushing it closer to try the electric start. Turned over, but wouldn't fire.

This is the 4th winter for this machine and it always started on first pull before. I went through my normal starting procedure again.....nothing. I had just about resolved myself to start tearing things apart, when it dawned on me, I had the kill switch set to "OFF".

When I put it away last Spring, I ran it out of gas. I never thought to shut off the switch. So when I went through my normal starting procedure, (choke, flip switch, turn on gas, prime, pull rope) I actually turned the kill switch off instead of on. Once I figured that out, it started on the next pull.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Did the same thing a week ago with my Honda. Felt stupid. No, was stupid.

By the way, if anyone is in the market for a new one, I can heartily recommend the Honda. Costs twice as much as other brands, but very well designed and throws the snow twice as far as my old Ariens, and has given me zero issues (once the operator figures out how to turn the "On" switch in the right direction!).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Honda is likely what I'll buy if I ever buy a new one. The Wheel Horse I have I bought from my brother about 25 years ago. It was made in the mid 70's so I can't complain too much when something goes wrong. Well yes, I can and I do, but I shouldn't.

But I'm hoping never to buy another one. If the markets don't tank completely I'm planning to install a heated driveway in a few years. Then I'll just smile when it snows because my driveway will always be snow free.

John
TDKPE said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

Must have been designed by an engineer because we all now know that they have no common sense.

Um, how's that again?

[/blockquote]

That is a completely ridiculous comment isn't it? But some will remember where it comes from, and I'll leave it at that.

John
[blockquote]Bill Wilson said:

...when it dawned on me, I had the kill switch set to "OFF".

When I put it away last Spring, I ran it out of gas. I never thought to shut off the switch. So when I went through my normal starting procedure, (choke, flip switch, turn on gas, prime, pull rope) I actually turned the kill switch off instead of on...

Well at least I know now I'm not the only one who has pulled this trick on them-self! ...and now we've both admitted it on the interweb!
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
We got another couple of inches over night so I decided to get out my little 2 cycle blower to take care of it. I got it for free a few years ago because it wouldn't run. It's an MTD, not the sharpest tool in the shed to be sure. The blower clutch cable had broken; I replaced it and it ran pretty well until the piece of plastic where the cable terminates on the handle broke at the end of last Winter. I ordered a replacement but never installed it. You know how that goes. Why do something until it's needed. Well, today's little snow provided the motivation. It was a quick 10 minute job and went w/o incident or injury. The darned thing started on the first pull, too, after sitting since last Winter (but I did put fresh gas mix in it), and I got the job done in no time. Hopefully, it blew the screw off the driveway that I lost off the other machine yesterday.

Some days just go well. I better get down and work some wood while my luck holds.

John
How many more blowers do you have???
Admiral said:

How many more blowers do you have???

Two, doesn't everyone? That way you hopefully have one that works while you work on the other. I had two lawnmowers for a long time, too, both Honda. The motor on one died and the transmission on the other. Even though they were different models the transmissions were common enough that I was able to move the good transmission to the one with the good motor and deck. That was about 2 years ago and it's still running great; over 20 years old now.

Oh yeah, I have 6 chainsaws. That might be just a couple too many. And three table saws. Geez, I might have a problem. Nah.

John
Well, I DO have three drill presses, a full size Jet, and two bench top sized ones . . . .
Well glad things improved today John and no smoke or burns. With any luck the missing screw went into the street or neighbor's yard!
I spent about an hour yesterday with the snow pusher shovel rearranging the snow that the wind failed to put where I wanted it. We only got about 3.5" but with 30 mph wind we had some 2' drifts and bare spots. Knock on wood, I haven't put gas in my blower yet. I have new skids shoes to install wired to the handle, spare auger and traction belts so I'm hoping that's insurance enough not to need it this year.
When I 'summerize' it, I run the gas out, then while still warm, remove the spark plug and spray cylinder with Stabil Fogging Cylinder Spray Stabil Fogging Oil ; reinstall the plug, change the oil, clean/wipe down, then use silicone spray to lube all joints and wipe down again with silicone spray. Always starts 2nd/3rd pull once gassed up (and key switch in run position LOL). Hope you got some shop time in; too cold here today starting at '0' finally getting to 12.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!