It's Snowblower Season
Just a sort of vent. Last winter was snow and cold, and cold and snow, like we hadn't seen in 20 or 30 years. I used, and repaired, my snowblower more than in the prior 10 or 15 years combined. I replaced belts, the engine recoil starter, an idler pulley and spring, and a couple more things I've forgotten. So I figured this year, when it finally snowed I'd be ready to go. The snow blower figured otherwise.

We got 4 or 5 inches of snow today, and more is on tap for tonight and tomorrow, so I went out mid afternoon to clean the driveway. First the thing won't start, then it sort of starts, but stalls, starts but stalls. OK, I take off the carb. cover and find that the throttle isn't moving freely. A couple of shots of Triflow lube and all is well. Put the cover back on and it starts right up. OK, engage the auger/blower pulley and a couple of seconds later blue smoke starts pouring out of it. I take a look under that cover and the idler pulley looks frozen. Geez, I just replaced it last winter. I foolishly grabbed it with my bare hand to see if would rotate; it was so hot I seared a streak down my thumb. I didn't feel it for a couple of seconds because my hand was cold. Then I really felt it. At least there was plenty of snow to cool it off in! Ok, after the air cleared I got the idler off and took it down to the basement and got the bearing moving again. You'd think they would put sealed bearings in these things. Must have been designed by an engineer because we all now know that they have no common sense. Got it loose, put some lube in it and put it back on the machine and .........

... all was well and got the driveway cleaned with no further breakdown or personal injury. I did loose a sheet metal screw from the carb cover, though, and I sure hope it doesn't end up in one of the car tires. That could be tomorrow's maintenance project.

I'm better now.

Hope your day went well.

John
Geez, John, one would figure all the work you did last year would have been enough where you wouldn't need it this year.

That's what I'm counting on having done similar. Last two years I've run more gas through mine than the previous 7 I've owned it...more than 20 gallon a quart at a time.

Sorry things didn't go better. Hoping tomorrow is a "flat free day" for you.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Haven't had any problems with mine. Oh, wait...I sold it when I left Connecticut 10 years ago.
Bob
I haven't had one problem with mine this year as it still hasn't needed to be started. Got about 3 inches yesterday and that isn't enough to even think about getting it out and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the high 40's
I feel your pain (well, not really...those burns can really hurt). I thought those things only happened to me.......
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I got mine back two days ago . Just in time.
The old Snapper got a valve job , carb work, and a good going over . 170.00 at Leonards saw shop . It performed very well yesterday. Hopefully I will be good for a few more winters.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

We got 8" of that white crap last night and it is still coming down. I sold my 4wheeler with the plow on it and bought a new Husky blower, steering and heated grips. Works great so far.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I feel your pain. Last year, we got 10 FEET of snow in boston.
I moved south. More expensive than a new snow blower, but I am much happier
The engineer designed it with a sealed bearing. The accountant or project manager replaced it.
Benny

jteneyck said:

Must have been designed by an engineer because we all now know that they have no common sense.

Um, how's that again?
jgrogan said:

I feel your pain. Last year, we got 10 FEET of snow in boston.

Meh. That's a normal average annual snowfall for Syracuse, and Rochester and Buffalo get a tad less at about 8+ ft. On average. Per the Golden Snowball web site.

And I can't believe my old NOMA (HD store brand, from more than 20 years ago) 24" with 5 hp Tecumseh Snow King still runs, especially considering how much use it gets up here. And starts on the first pull. She owes me nothing.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"