I need recommendations for a drill press.
I am having major problems with my current drill press and the parts I need are no longer available (can't imagine why, it is only 37 years old).

What I am looking for is a floor model, at least a 15". I would rather have one with stepped pulleys for speed changes rather than an electronic variable style.

Since I plan on getting good use out of it for a lot of years, I am willing to spend some serious coin to get what I want.

I am asking for your input based on what you have experience with. Please factor in any repair/warranty issues if you have them including your dealings with the manufacturer (good or bad).

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
I've had the Delta 18-900L for four years and have been very happy with it. Good fit and finish and lots of cool features. It has stepped pulley speed changes, but they've made it much easier to make the change than most.

I haven't heard any complaints about this drill press from other forum members. However, Delta has developed a bad reputation for parts availability since the last ownership change. I think (hope) that is changing, as I ordered trunions For a Delta BS a few months ago, and they came very quickly. I would definitely buy this drill press again.
Bob
I bought a variable speed Clausing from a machinist's estate sale about 2 years ago. Very happy with it but I looked seriously for a few years to find one. Speed is adjusted while running - it has two variable pulleys that "open and close". I paid $1000 and considered it a good deal. They carried it out of the basement and loaded it in my van too.

All that being said, I've been giving some thought to selling it if the pricing on the new Teknatool DP isn't sky high. Don't know what your budget is but the Teknatool deserves a look if only to see the next generation of drill presses.

Lonnie
To me, the most important feature is the depth of throw. Longer is better. My Delta 15"( of 6 years), with stepped pulleys and minimal run out has served me well.
Not long ago, one of the woodworking magazines did a comparision of floor mounted drill presses. Can't remember which one but hopefully someone here can and provide the article.
Once you make your purchase, put that rascal on a mobile base so you can move it around. Good luck,
Any particular reason you prefer stepped pulleys for speed changes? I'm also in the market, and one thing I'll admit to is not bothering to change the speed sometimes, and I'm sure some of my cuts have suffered because of it. If I could change speed on the fly I'd be much more apt to do it. So I'm legitimately curious, maybe there's something I'm missing? I'd hate to get something I end up regretting!
Benny

Not a problem if you want to spend, Clausing & Buffalo will handily take your money.
But if you can find a well cared for re-built you may get a lot more for your $.
What old drills are great? They must be re-built x reputable sources. But if done well, they pay for themsleves 5x over.
Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Duro, & Wilton
e.g.

EXAMPLE
Pat Warner
bennybmn said:

Any particular reason you prefer stepped pulleys for speed changes? I'm also in the market, and one thing I'll admit to is not bothering to change the speed sometimes, and I'm sure some of my cuts have suffered because of it. If I could change speed on the fly I'd be much more apt to do it. So I'm legitimately curious, maybe there's something I'm missing? I'd hate to get something I end up regretting!

I am comfortable with the pulleys because that is what I have now. The electronic variable speed style to me is just something else that can fail.
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
BigD said:

[blockquote]bennybmn said:

I am comfortable with the pulleys because that is what I have now. The electronic variable speed style to me is just something else that can fail.

[/blockquote]
You are not wrong although the approach you see in routerman's post combines conventional pulleys with an off the shelf VFD. If/when the vfd craps out it can be replaced as fast as the mail can deliver a new one from ebay, Amazon, etc etc.

That said, I've had the same brand vfd in hobby use on my lathe for 12-odd years now and it has never given a lick of trouble.

Like routerman, I am also in the used camp..I have a industrial Delta drill press with a reeves drive and 6" of spindle throw waiting to go back into service..with a vfd.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
If you are willing to spend the money the new Delta is a great machine. I was part of the beta test for it and I wanted to cry the day they came and picked the machine back up. I was really hoping they would forget about me. They thought of just about everything when they built it. I know when they asked me I had to try very hard to come up with any criticism. If I didn’t have a perfectly good old Delta drill press in my shop right now I would buy one in a heartbeat.
I got this one last year:

It has some nice features but the depth stop is cumbersome to use. There was visible run out in the chuck and I replaced the MT shank, but the chuck continued to wave. So I use my "good chuck" in the press and gave the OEM chuck to my wood lathe where the run out dose not seem to matter....I digress...

I would look for something else if I were to do it again.
Ag