I need recommendations for a drill press.
I played with the depth stop on the Jet in a store last week. I agree, it's weird... Same money will get you a Rikon with on the fly speed control. I like the table on the Jet tho.
Benny

I have a Delta 17-965 that I bought new well over 10 years ago. I have been completely pleased with it on all fronts. Were I in the market now I'd take a hard look at the new Delta that Dave talked about. Since it came out a few years ago, the reviews on it have been over-the-top good! Many here have it and I've yet to hear anyone who didn't like it - YMMV.

Good luck,

Doug
Just curious, what do you have that is 37 yo and you cant get parts for it? Is it an American press or one of the imports? Most of what would wear out would be bearings and those are replaceable.
EvilTwin said:

Just curious, what do you have that is 37 yo and you cant get parts for it? Is it an American press or one of the imports? Most of what would wear out would be bearings and those are replaceable.

This.

You could prolly spend less than half of what a new DP costs and have a much better quality tool when done.

Give us some details and perhaps we can help.
chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]EvilTwin said:

This.

You could prolly spend less than half of what a new DP costs and have a much better quality tool when done.

[/blockquote]

My 37 year old is a Craftsman Commercial - (model # 113.24520) very good quality. It has a cast split head for adjustments for wear. If it were just bearings I would have already replaced them. The part that has gone bad is an eccentric bearing that the hub assembly with the operating handles goes through. The set screw underneath it that keeps it from rotating came loose but I did not notice it.

When it is loose, the eccentric bearing rotated when I rotated the hub assembly when drilling holes. I finally noticed it when it bound up the hub assembly. I played around with it quite a bit trying to get it back into the right place but never could. My guess is that while it was rotating the many times before I noticed it that either the internal or external surface (or both) galled on the hub or the head casting.

The part number is 71111 but on Sears parts page it is listed as "no longer available".
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
I bought a 13" I think it is, from HF in 89, and try as I may, it still hasn't broke. I think their presses are the best cluck for the buck anywhere.
Mike

Three years (I think) with the Delta 18-900. It is solid, smooth, and the belt change is simple since they are self tensioning. No more shifting the motor.

The laser beam is too thick for real accuracy. But, while I had a much better one on my last DP, I seldom used it.

The work light isn't much better as it always casts a bad shadow. My Craftsman work light was a bulb in the housing shining straight down.

I bought a ring light when PeachTree had them on sale. Excellent.

In spite of poorly designed frills, I recommend it as a solid drill press.
See ya later,
Bill
BigD said:

[qute:doobes]
[blockquote]EvilTwin said:

This.

[/blockquote]

My 37 year old is a Craftsman Commercial - (model # 113.24520) very good quality. It has a cast split head for adjustments for wear. If it were just bearings I would have already replaced them. The part that has gone bad is an eccentric bearing that the hub assembly with the operating handles goes through. The set screw underneath it that keeps it from rotating came loose but I did not notice it.

When it is loose, the eccentric bearing rotated when I rotated the hub assembly when drilling holes. I finally noticed it when it bound up the hub assembly. I played around with it quite a bit trying to get it back into the right place but never could. My guess is that while it was rotating the many times before I noticed it that either the internal or external surface (or both) galled on the hub or the head casting.

The part number is 71111 but on Sears parts page it is listed as "no longer available".

[/blockquote]

From what it sounds like that is the tension for the quill return and its probably a pot metal part that finally gave up the ghost. I had one of those presses, similar vintage. It was an ok machine, nothing special to write home about, typical import of the time. I don't think it owes you anything, and you would have to find its twin or something close to cannibalize if you really wanted to fix it.

I'm with the Routerman, look for a good used American machine, it may take a bit of time, but they show up. I've had more than a few go through my hands, mostly the Rockwell VS models. My personal machine is a VS Clausing that I've had for a few years and I wouldn't replace it for anything they put out new these days. The cost of new machines is crazy lately, if you have to go new and import, I guess a griz would be the best bet. Otherwise I would wait out something used that you could invest some time and tlc and have a long term machine.

If you have to have one soon, the Grizzly or the Delta will get you there.

My woodworking drill press is a sixties era Powermatic. Very heavy cast iron parts, bearings all re-done, variable speed, six inch quill travel, etc.

Hard to beat the old arn.

Maybe get a new one, while looking for an old one.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Evil Twin,
My DP looks just like yours. I bought it from the estate of a machinist who had gone thru it not long before his death. The one thing he didn't get around to was changing the belt. Have you ever replaced the belt on yours? If so, where did you get parts from? Thanks

Lonnie