Something I just learned tonight at the turning club meeting
Back in the day it was it was said that Chrysler would develop an idea, Ford would perfect it, and GM would mass produce it. Haven't you ever heard of "corporate espionage"?
Steve K

And I know half on woodnet hate them, the other half loves then, and the other half could care less but this is why Sawstop goes to the nth degree protecting their product.
I can't find any evidence that Powermatic or Jet ever even offered a live center, let alone any lawsuit from Oneway. Is there a link to this?

If you look at the Powermatic tail stock swing away, it's quite different from the Oneway swinger. It rotates at different angle, which gets the tailstock totally below the ways, whereas the Oneway tailstock swinger just rotates 90 deg horizontally, keeping the base at the same height as the bed of the ways.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Jet

Oneway

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Not true Anthony, you can see the difference between the two easily, a similar chuck but designed by Oneway and a better product IMO
Have fun and take care
AHill said:

If you look at the Powermatic tail stock swing away, it's quite different from the Oneway swinger. It rotates at different angle, which gets the tailstock totally below the ways...

Sooo you would say it moves "Down N' Out"?

My first craft was custom Footbags (Hacky Sack, registered trademark, to the general public). We had several design patents. We went to Pakistan to have them made there because they sewed a lot of soccer balls. It went fine for about 2 or 3 years, then all of our customers were getting prices from several manufacturers over there that were the same as what we were getting. No budget for lawyers... We still make a bunch of juggle balls and sell a lot of them, but footbag sales are down from the good old days. Kind of like woodturning, I am doing better at getting famous than I am at getting rich, but I am having a lot of fun. Maybe I will win the Powerball tonight...

robo hippy
AHill said:

I can't find any evidence that Powermatic or Jet ever even offered a live center, let alone any lawsuit from Oneway. Is there a link to this?

If you look at the Powermatic tail stock swing away, it's quite different from the Oneway swinger. It rotates at different angle, which gets the tailstock totally below the ways, whereas the Oneway tailstock swinger just rotates 90 deg horizontally, keeping the base at the same height as the bed of the ways.

I bought a used PM 4224 a while back, maybe a couple years ago. Anyway, the guy threw in what he called a Powermatic live center, seems it called it that on his original paperwork but I don't remember for sure. Here it is beside my oneway live center.

There are some very minor cosmetic differences but other than that they nearly identical. Still, the oneway just "seems" better, maybe it's just my imagination.
Steve K

Bin Pho demoed to our club and I bought a scraper from him. According to Bin, a fairly well known turner who was a friend of his came up with the original idea.
Also, according to Bin a major lathe tool manufacturer stole the idea/design and market it as their own. The originator gets nothing.
The author of the design has passed and Bin makes and sells the scrapers while touring and doing demos. He says 100% of the profit goes to the guys widow. Not going to name names as I am not sure just who either party is. I do know the tool is great for shear scraping and I'm glad I bought it. The point is Arlin, It is the way of business for profit. While large corporations are not necessarily crooks they are nearly always unethical.

Steve K

Steve

I am not understanding how that tool works? It looks like in the picture that it is a piece of wood on the end.

It also looks like the Sorby Scrapper to.

To bad business are like that anymore. I would think that they would go to the person and at least offer them some money for the tool or object.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.