Best way to mill 16/4 wood
My next project is going to require me to mill 16/4. I have a rough piece of cherry that is 4 inches by about 7.5 inches by about 7 feet. I have a band saw and can cut it into the smaller thicknesses but after that I will still need to mill the rest.

So should I get it as close as I can with the BS, flatten one side with the jointer, then using the surface planer to get both sides flat to each other? Any way to use a TS? I know from today cutting down a 4 inch by 4 inch piece of doug fir the TS struggled with that especially on the burning. Even then the TS only goes 3 1/8 inches and I would be at 3.5 inches.

I may glue up some cherry to get to 3.5 inch square but even that would I think require some milling to finish it.

thanks for replies
I would use my corded jointer and planer.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Very timely question. Glue up is out of the picture for me.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If you have an 8"+ jointer, use the jointer than planer like normal but you'll likely need additional in/out feed supports.
What size finished parts do you need?
If you are cutting the 16/4 the 4" direction you can use your table saw. Cut halfway then flip it.
1. Corded? Did you mean portable?

2. Finished size is 3.5 X 3.5 inches by about 30 inches. Other size is about 3.5 x 3.5 by 60 inches.

3. Since finished size is 3.5 I could cut down the middle to get it to 4 inches then use the 6 inch jointer that I have to flatten etc.
Cut to rough length, then rip it fat on the BS. That's what BS's are made for. Just use a 3 tpi blade and it will zip right through cherry. Then joint one face flat, then joint one edge square to that. Finally, plane both remaining rough faces with the planer. Not hard, just a little heavy. The TS wouldn't figure into this process for me.

John
macpiano said:

1. Corded? Did you mean portable?

Corded meaning power tools not hand planes. And No - not portable on my jointer and planer

Is this wood dry?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

jteneyck said:

Cut to rough length, then rip it fat on the BS. That's what BS's are made for. Just use a 3 tpi blade and it will zip right through cherry. Then joint one face flat, then joint one edge square to that. Finally, plane both remaining rough faces with the planer. Not hard, just a little heavy. The TS wouldn't figure into this process for me.

John

I have a Wolf 3 tp 1/2 inch blade I believe that I have not used. I will give that a whirl at some point. I still have a bit of time until get started on this as I'm still working on my TS out feed table etc. I also want to make sure on this since that is an expensive piece of cherry at 4 inch by 7.5 by about 66 inches.

The cherry is dry as it has been in my shop about 6 years now.