Sharpening carving gouges on the Tormek
I've been trying to hone in my carving tool sharpening skills before I try my hand at some work. I'm using the Tormek and the "line of light" method they describe. I'm getting very sharp chisels when I'm done but my biggest concern is "shape". After straightening the edge across should the edge stay straight across when I'm done on the Tormek stone as well? My edges are dipping down in the middle if I were to hold a straight edge across it. I don't know if this depends on the sweep on not. I have an Ashley Iisles sweep with the factory edge and it's straight across. The Buck Bros I just did is dipping in the middle a bit. I seem to find myself hitting th edge and gaining my "line of light" in the middle of the profile before the edges. Do I just need to pay more attention to where I'm grinding, progress, and pressure if it should be straight across? Thanks for any insight.

It seems that when you are grinding and "roll" across the edge, doing the right edge, the center, the left edge, then go back to center and then back to right edge,(going back and forth) you actually do the center twice for each time you do each edge.

Since my Momma never called me sonny because I was so bright, I always go just one way when "rolling" across the edge of a tool. If I start on the right, I will only sharpen right to left, then pick the edge up and go back to the right and repeat the process, avoiding the double hit on the center.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
joemac said:

It seems that when you are grinding and "roll" across the edge, doing the right edge, the center, the left edge, then go back to center and then back to right edge,(going back and forth) you actually do the center twice for each time you do each edge.

Since my Momma never called me sonny because I was so bright, I always go just one way when "rolling" across the edge of a tool. If I start on the right, I will only sharpen right to left, then pick the edge up and go back to the right and repeat the process, avoiding the double hit on the center.

+1 Bingo.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Well that makes perfect sense. Thank for the replies gentlemen...

joemac said:

I don't believe this is true. I've been (and seen experts) sharpen gouges this way and it will not cause a flattening.

In fact, in order to go in the same direction each stroke, you must lift the tool, which potentially introduces error in the honing process.

You need to take a close look at your technique.

You will flatten the gouge is if you are not rotating the gouge through in a consistent manner, ie going too slow when you get to the bottom of the gouge.

Also, if you're dealing with lower quality tools, the steel could be an issue.

It is my opinion that when you sharpen a carving tool (or any hand tool) on a machine you are taking a chance on ruining the shape of the edge because material is removed 10x faster than by hand.

I suggest you watch a couple sharpening videos to see what I'm talking about. Check our Mary May and Chris Pye. They demonsrate hand sharpening but the priniciple is the same on a grinding wheel.
Quote:

It is my opinion that when you sharpen a carving tool (or any hand tool) on a machine you are taking a chance on ruining the shape of the edge because material is removed 10x faster than by hand

That's why "only perfect practice makes perfect"...Your opinion is definitely true...power sharpening is much more prone to altering the shape than doing it by hand....BUT, once you "get the knack of it" you can produce a superior edge in just minutes..and use the time you save for carving.. You have to buy the right equipment and learn to use it correctly, but it's skill that is easy to learn if you stick with it.

One of the best caricature carvers I know of, started out with a piece of leather mounted horizontally on a small shaft, held in a variable speed, reversible hand drill..He kept it by his side for frequent touch-ups....Name is ..Tom Wolfe...He has written many carving books. I discussed it with him one time years ago at a wood carving show in Asheville N.C.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here is how Mary May does it. Start at about 15:00 on the video.