Push Block Grip Pad???????????????????
I am making a push block type of device and am getting towards the end of the project. I have it all figured out except what to use for a grippy rubber bottom that can be adhered to wood. My original thoughts were to use a mousepad and I still like the idea. My question is does a mousepad create enough friction with wood to use as a bottom on a push block. My biggest concern is longevity of the mousepads and do they work when dust is present.
Does your push block have a heel? If so it doesn't matter much what you use. I have always used sand paper glued to the bottom. Sorry but I can't speak to the mousepad.
danw
LV offers high-friction sheet material with PSA backing that works well for this sort of thing.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,43456,43465
I've made push blocks with a mouse pad glued on the bottom. There are a lot of different types of mouse pads and obviously some will work well while others won't work worth a ****. Thin ones work better, last longer. The pad eventually comes unstuck, but a bit of contact cement fixes it. Dust will make them less sticky. You can wipe them off with a damp cloth and pretty much be back in business. Other non-skid type materials would work as well as long as the surface to your project is tacky and you can glue the opposing surface to your push block, but you can find mouse pads for free. But I have to agree with DanW that my preference is for a push block with a "heel" so you have a mechanical stop rather than just friction working for you. Friction alone will not be as positive or dependable.
Paul-in-Plymouth said:

LV offers high-friction sheet material with PSA backing that works well for this sort of thing.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,43456,43465

This is what I've used with pretty good results...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Go to Walmart and get some shelf liner. Its just like what LV sells except it won't prevent rust. I bought a couple rolls a few years ago and use it for free hand routing, too.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Don't expect it to grip that well.

I like a strip of 80 grit sandpaper myself.

Even with that, often times I need something with a heel especially on the jointer.
LV stuff works fine. I'm due to redo my push blocks.
Don
rwe2156 said:

Even with that, often times I need something with a heel especially on the jointer.

It seems to work pretty well for my jointer. Of course, I still put heels on the push blocks.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

[blockquote]rwe2156 said:

It seems to work pretty well for my jointer. Of course, I still put heels on the push blocks.

[/blockquote]

Someone a while back said that skate board grip tape was a good substitute for sand paper. I've not tried, but it seems like a good idea at the time...
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net