Need help with an air system
This is for an air brush system. All fittings are standard 1/4" air line.

Let me set the stage. I have a 5 gal. portable air tank for inflating tires, etc.
It has a fill valve on it that must be unscrewed to charge the tank. It has a pressure gauge, but not a regulator on it. It also has a short hose with a tire chuck built into it. That's it.

What I want to do is use this tank as a buffer / storage unit so my compressor doesn't run all the time & cause pulsations in the air pressure.

So, I think what I need to do is remove the existing valve setup.

Then, I need to find & install a one way pressure valve so the compressor only feeds into the tank. This needs to be a tee valve, so air feeds in one way only, from the compressor.

The other side needs to feed into a regulator & moisture trap, then on to the hose & air gun.

In other words, the tank only has one hole in it & I can't drill another to make this work.
I am not drilling into a pressure vessel.

Does such a thing exist? If so, what is it called & where can I buy one?

Thanks for any help you might have for me.
I think all you need is a t-fitting and another regulator. Your compressor's regulator will act as a one way valve as long as you set it lower than the low limit switch that turns on the compressor. Plumb from your compressor regulator to one leg of the t-fitting and put your new regulator on the other leg. If the the low limit of the compressor is 90 psi then set the regulator to maybe 75 psi. Set the new regulator for whatever pressure you want to spray at, or maybe 5 or 10 psi higher if you have a mini regulator at the gun. The compressor will keep the tank at 75 psi all the time, assuming it can keep up with the flow you draw off.

John
This is the compressor I'll be using. Compressor
and here is the tank I'll be using. Tank.

What I'm not understanding is how air wouldn't back flow from the tank to the compressor if the tank pressure is higher than the high limit of the compressor.

Would I just leave the existing valve & pressure gauge on the tank, and remove the air hose on the tank for another regulator?
Or, would I have to change that assembly to something different entirely? If I can leave the existing pressure gauge in the tank & just remove the hose, I'm all for it.

Simple is best in my book.
Thanks for the help.
will something like this work? Not the best picture

Reread what I wrote above. Leave your pressure regulator on the compressor. Get rid of everything on the tank and install a T fitting and plumb it as I wrote above. The compressor pressure is higher than the tank so it can't back flow.

John
OK, got you now. I must have misread something.
The brass piece from the tank, came with the tank. The fittings to the right with the valve comprise the input and the stuff with the quick disconnect and regulator to the left is the output. I installed the valve so I could fill it and close the valve to disconnect the input hose and take it into the house and use a pin nailer or take it to the car and fill a tire without dragging a hose around.

There's no reason it couldn't be used as a buffer tank between your compressor and airbrush.

I hope these pictures help.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm looking to do with mine.
Thanks for posting those pics.
I appreciate it.