Angle grinders
I have the older Ryobi, too, and have had no issues with it in over 5 years. That said, I'd buy the HF one with a 20% off coupon if I needed another.

John
I bought a cheap angle grinder from HF some years ago for tile work, and it's worked really well. What I don't like about it is the switch location, which I think is somewhat dangerous, especially since it doesn't have a spring loaded switch. If buying again, I would pay much more attention to the switch, and would be willing to pay more for a safer tool.
I forgot to mention. The paddle switch models at HF
are > than the slide switch models.
EricU said:

there is nothing I hate more than a cheap tool. Having said that, I decided to strip a floor when I was 7 hours from my nice angle grinder. I was 15 minutes from a HF. I forget which grinder I bought, it was cheap. Works fine.

I usually denounce all things HF, however this is the time I think they make sense potentially.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Wild Turkey said:

Got a belt sander? Coarse belts will do the job better and quicker if you just want to take the rust off.

If you're wanting to get it down to smooth metal -- good luck. That's LOTS of HARD metal you're looking at.

No, I want to make a horn too. Lots of videos of guys doing it on YouTube. I am confident it will be hard but little by little i think it can be done. I want to doa small forge and make a knife or two. MAYBE eeven a plane blade.
I have a Makita and have liked it so much I would NEVER consider another brand! It is not the least expensive one on the market and I don't use it very often but when I need it, it does the job well. Has great ergonomics, is nice and heavy and has handled all tasks well so far.

Doug
Tapper said:

I have a Makita and have liked it so much I would NEVER consider another brand! It is not the least expensive one on the market and I don't use it very often but when I need it, it does the job well. Has great ergonomics, is nice and heavy and has handled all tasks well so far.

Doug

I agree.
We have had their 4 & 4.5 grinders at work for decades.
Brushes, and switches, but considering the reckless abuse they endure, they are the only brand I consider.

Now, there is or was a cheaper, all plastic body Makita grinder I saw at HD. Don't know about those, but would likely stay away.
Ag
I've got a Makita and a Metabo. The Makita is a toy compared to the Metabo. I'm in the camp of pay the price once and have a quality tool forever.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
gMike said:

I've got a Makita and a Metabo. The Makita is a toy compared to the Metabo. I'm in the camp of pay the price once and have a quality tool forever.

I am too....but this is not something I have extra money for to buy just because I want the best. I just want something that will work.

My question was HF vs Skil. Granted I do appreciate the suggestions on the other brands....
I bought a HF years ago for a one time job that, like you, I could not justify the cost of a good one. I have found lots of other odd jobs for it but still just occasional uses. I have to tighten the screws up but otherwise has been a good tool. For the money it was a bargain.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks