Angle grinders
So, I'd like a angle grinder to surface some RR track I found for an anvil. I am looking at a cheap one. Never had a use for one before so I don't want to blow a lot. Looking at the HF 4 1/2 inch. Several on sale from $15 to $30 or so...or maybe a Skil at lowes for $30. Thoughts?

thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I got a Makita on Craigslist for $15. It replaced the Cummins grinder I had for 10 years that I paid about the same for. Both grinders do the job. The Makita doesn't seem to vibrate as much.
I bought one of these H-F versions as a supplement for $9.99 with a coupon not having high expectations for it. I've been surprised at it's durability...I've used it to sharpen lawnmower blades dozens of times, cut ceramic tile, cut blocks & mortar and with a wire brush to clean mower decks, countless other items...anyways pretty much abused it...still works perfect with no backlash in the gears no slop in the arbor bearing. Has performed as well as my Craftsman Professional model.
<a href="http://" >H-F 4-1/2' 4.3A RA Grinder</a> For an inexpensive model has performed flawlessly. Comes with a 90 day Warranty...more than you get with a used one. My $.02 worth
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Got a belt sander? Coarse belts will do the job better and quicker if you just want to take the rust off.

If you're wanting to get it down to smooth metal -- good luck. That's LOTS of HARD metal you're looking at.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
If you use a flat wire brush mounted to an angle grinder, BE CAREFUL.
Brush grabs edges and flys the grinder out of your hands......wires shoot out and stab.....ouch!
Safety glasses AND face shield required.
Cup brushes are much safer.
Dangerous tool.....Ag
there is nothing I hate more than a cheap tool. Having said that, I decided to strip a floor when I was 7 hours from my nice angle grinder. I was 15 minutes from a HF. I forget which grinder I bought, it was cheap. Works fine.
I have a cheap Skill grinder in the work van. I don't use it daily but it does get used. It was somewhere around $20. HD still sells the same one. The Grinder I use the Proxxon 40 grit Flap Discs most often for aluminum work and I keep the 4-1/4" grinding discs handy. I've also used it for gutting tile with a diamond blade. I can't kill the thing.
I would hardly ever recommend something from HF with an electric cord attached, but in your case it sounds like the perfect tool. They have a 30 day gaurantee, just get it done in that time. Speaking of which: have you ever tried to work RR track? I have a small piece I use for an anvil, and that stuff is work hardened so much it has to be among the more difficult things to work. My piece was cut in the machine shop at the plant I used to work in, and even with the industrial tools of choice it was a tough job.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another vote for the HF model. I paid $20 or so for mine.
Abused it on a daily basis for 5-6 years.
It still ran well when my puppy chewed the cord off it.

Good thing it wasn't plugged in at the time.
ive been pretty impressed with my ryobi. i see they changed the color but the model numbers the same as mine.
its been quite a workhorse.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-5-5-Amp.../205558109