Water Filter
What's a good sink mounted water purifier? The city water here is really bad.
Our city water is quite bad here too. Lots of sediment and the TDS is about 50% higher than the epa recommended level. For our fridge I use a whole house filter before a watts reverse osmosis filter. I do have to change the whole house filter about 3 to 4 times a year. Yes it gets that nasty that quick. All our drinking water comes out of it and I also use ro water for cooking as well.

The RO system still leaves more minerals in the water than I'd like though. It still builds up a film in the keurig tank. Was looking at installing a water softener but not now since we will be moving.
Water filtration is frequently performed with filters and carbon block filtration. These are the least expensive methods that provide many with partical removal and odor and taste improvement.

Reverse osmosis builds upon this with a special membrane that only allows pure water molecules to pass through while flushing waste down the sewer. Frequently these systems will supply 1 gallon of fresh pure water while flushing several down the drain as waste water.

Reverse osmosis is another means of purifying water like distillation. RO removes all healthful minerals and flavor from the water. It also has a tendency to reduce the waters pH which can lead to other problems. Purchasing a RO system with a mineral cartridge to replace the lost calcium will be beneficial to health and the longevity of the bladder on the RO systems water storage tank.

If your water is hard you need a water softener. A RO system will remove the salt ions from the softened water and leave you with bottled water quality. Many bottled water suppliers use micro-filtration, reverse-osmosis, ozone and UV light to purify water depending upon need. Having your own RO system allows for filtered drinking water on demand without purchasing at a store. If you can install the system yourself which is very easy to do you can save a lot of money over the charges of a professional plumber.

I use and frequently recommend Home Master Artesian full contact reverse osmosis system. It has all of the important benefits of a well designed system, is easy to service, is American made and very importantly is NSF Certified. Many RO systems on the market have been assembled overseas in China. I would stay far away from those.

http://www.theperfectwater.com/Home-Mast...ystem.html
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I have an under the sink RO system and wouldn't be without it. I have boiled water quality at the sink.

I do need to hook up the fridge to it to get better ice.

I do wish i had gone with one of the systems linked above.
Since we live in an area with a lot of farming, we installed an RO system to remove pesticides and nitrates. It's installed in the utility room with taps in the bathrooms, kitchen, and to the fridge. Overall, it's been pretty simple to maintain.

A friend has a similar RO system and their water as a lot of sediment, so he added a larger sediment filter to the water for the entire house before the RO system. He replaces that every six months and says those filters are under $5 at big box stores.
Mine is the watts wp-4 which I got a really good deal on locally and couldn't pass it up. The one linked above looks good but it has a ton of connections that can leak when people are getting stuff in and out from under the sink. I don't like having anything stored under a sink because of water and drain lines getting bumped and leaking. Also why you should never put a trash can under the sink like everyone likes to do.

The only issue with ours so far is the noise from the faucet. It has an air gap built into it like is used with dishwashers. Well you can heat it hiss through most of the house. Finally got tired of it and covered the hole.
The other issue Is that I won't have a place for the faucet when I do countertops as we have a porcelain farm sink. So nowhere to drill a hole. May end up just bypassing the faucet as its main use is for the ice maker and here we use allot of ice.
Out of curriosity:

Have you had your water tested? I've installed quite a few water treatment products and every one of them was installed to fix known problems. I think I've put in about 10 and no two were alike. I'd say that half of the people told me they had hard water. None of them had hard water. Most had iron or ph or bacteria issues or a combination.
We have a Kinetico RO system and like it, but the dealer left town and the cartridges are proprietary, so it's a hassle to get them mailed.

Whichever one you go with, I'd search for replacements before buying the system and make sure they're readily available and you're ok with the cost.
That was one of the reasons I went with the watts not just the good deal. Filter kits are affordable and available online and locally. I don't like the newer models with the much smaller filter elements. The filter alone for the old style is bigger than the whole filter canister of the new ones.

Don't know if the original poster has his tested but I did and the nu,bets were similar to the numbers on the city's tests though the numbers were slightly higher on our water. I do remember that TDS was around 800. Don't remember the hardness but it was high as well.
Also had our well water tested. 100' deep which is very shallow here as modern wells for drinking are in the 300' or deeper range now. The well water was better in almost every respect than the city water. I only use the well for the yard and unfortunately doesn't put out enough to do that without a large tank.