Grinding wheels: recommendation needed
I have decided it's time to replace the white wheel I grind my gouges with. It just grinds too hot and, for the 10V steel on my favorite gouges, produces a slightly jagged edge. After researching a little, I think I need a ceramic or ceramic blend wheel. CBN is not in the budget for now.

So, can anyone recommend what type of wheel would be good, as well as what grit. This is specifically for touching up gouges, not for grinding or re-shaping.

Thanks in advance!
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Well, if there is any way to squeeze a CBN wheel into the budget, they are the best value for the money, and you will never have to buy another one, never have to true it up, never have to balance it, and never have to clean it up. Cheapest, well, least expensive, are from Ken Rizza at WoodturningWonders, and Dave at D Way, his cost a bit more. They are far better for your V10 than the white or ceramic wheels. It is okay to buy only one, and get a 180 grit, which cuts as fast, or faster than the standard 120 grit wheels. I can't remember about the ceramic types, but think they are in the $80 to $100 range.

robo hippy
I use a 120 grit blue Norton wheel. I have yet to burn one of my good tools on it. It's on a high speed (3450 rpm) grinder too.
I have the Norton blue wheel as well, awaiting my upgrade to CBN. It's a very good wheel.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another vote for CBN from Ken Rizza. I splurged on two and am very happy with both the service from Ken and the wheels. Two important features of his wheels are the arbor size which matches the grinder shaft and the self-align washer he sells that perfectly trues up the new wheel. That eliminates all the modifications and adjustments in setting up the wheels. He tossed in a real nice work light and he offers a "club discount."
Another vote for CBN. I have the 180 grit from Dway and very happy with it and his service. I have to admit though, I'm thinking hard about that 350 grit at woodturningwonders. Seems like that would be an awesome wheel for skews. Hard to describe how smooth is the grind with a cbn.
Steve K

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm not surprised you're all high on the CBN wheels. They seem great. Maybe I'll hold off and save up for one of those.

If I go with a Norton blue wheel, what grade would you recommend? K grade?
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Yeah, I'd go with the K grade.
Here's a link for you.
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/categor..._id/21207/
Peachtree is seling a CBN wheel at the woodworking shows for $120.

The p tree website shows grits of 80 and 180 and dimensions of 8" x 1.5" by 5/8" arbor.

The dimesions won't work for my 8" grinder with a 3/4" arbor.
My .02
Karl

I have been getting e-mails from some company in China, perhaps due to the article I wrote a while back on CBN wheels. They want me to sell their wheels. They have cloned the Optigrind (Raptor at Craft Supplies, and the in house brand for Woodcraft), D Way, and Cuttermaster wheels. Not sure about Ken Rizza's wheels. I don't know anything about their quality, but would bet they may not come up to par. I would not buy one just on general principals... This is the only way I can see some one selling them for considerably less than market value.

robo hippy