Recommendations for an 8" low speed grinder
jerickson's grinding wheel post and robohippy's sharpening video have me looking for a good 8" low speed grinder. It seems you can either get a semi-cheap one in the $80-$150 range or spend $1K+ for a Baldor or similar. I'm hoping someone knows of one somewhere in the middle, preferably closer to the cheap range but with the quality approaching the Baldor range.

Right now, I've decided on the Rikon but some of the reviews don't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about it.

Steve
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Get the Rikon.

Most problems with grinders are caused by the wheels. Either the center bushings aren't true or the wheel is out of balance. I put the CBN wheels on my Woodcraft house brand grinder and I don't even have it bolted down anymore. It just sits on my bench and runs as smooth as can be.

Twinn
Will post for food.
I don't know if Woodcraft just stopped making there brand or sold it off. I've had one for over 15 years without a problem. When I bought it it was in the $100 range with free shipping so I wouldn't let a low price scare me off
I used to use the basic slow speed grinder Woodcraft sold in the $80 range. I could never get the wheels to balance, no matter what I tried. Porter-Cable to the rescue. I purchased one of the variable speed grinders at the big box store (Lowe's?). Perfectly balanced right out of the box. I liked it so much I bought another. One grinder set up for sharpening; the other set up with bowl buffs. If you have a Wolverine jig, you'll need to set it up a bit differently than the Rikon. The height from the base to the center of the wheels is different. Just a batter of putting a spacer under the grinder.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That Rikon has a 1/2 hp motor, which will work, but I consider a bit weak. Note here, I did concrete construction for years and prefer things over built rather than under built. I did buy one of their new 1 hp slow speed 8 inch grinders, and it seems to have as much power as the Baldor grinders. For standard wheels, they should work fine. Some have said they run the CBN wheels fine though they take a long time to spin down. I took the rubber feet off so I could bolt it to plywood for taking to demonstrations, and found out I needed to grind 1/8 inch off of one of the feet on the base so it wouldn't rock. I think price is in the $220 range, but I don't know if they go on sale. For sure, they have enough power to run the heavy CBN wheels. I did take the little lamp off of it since it doesn't stretch out far enough, or provide enough light.

robo hippy
Steve

I can not say enough good things about this Grizzly one which has a 3/4hp motor
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Variab...ght/T27305

I got it with the money left over from when the WN helped me with the Window Air Conditioner.

When I got it the price was $108.95 and now it is $112.95 but it is still money WELL spent.

I also got the CBN wheel from Ken when a friend of mine went to SWAT. He owed me a favor and called and asked me what I wanted and I got the 180g.

Personally I thing the 180g is still aggressive and would like to see how the 320g works.

I left the 40g wheel on for roughing and use the CBN for fine sharpening.

If I want the wheel faster I just turn it up since the grinder is variable speed.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have the Rikon Woodcraft sells. They put it on sale regularly, so keep an eye out. I'm happy with it so far--about 7 months in. I think I got it for around $100 when they ran a sale.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Steve, check craigslist for a used Baldor. They are one of the best values going.

Doug
Just a note, Rikon has 2 slow speed grinders, the 80808 and the 80805, the 805 is a half horse and the 808 is a whole horse, a 1/2 hp is ok for ceramic wheels I think though I have no personal experience with either one, but I would go with the 1HP if you can afford especially if you plan on CBN wheels, now or later.
I personally use a 1hp 10” grinder and an old 7” grinder made for the US Navy
Have fun and take care
Angus said:

I don't know if Woodcraft just stopped making there brand or sold it off. I've had one for over 15 years without a problem. When I bought it it was in the $100 range with free shipping so I wouldn't let a low price scare me off

I've had the same for about 5-6 years. No issues so far.

e deploribus unum