Insulation
Is there a performance difference between using faced R38 or using unfaced R19 put between joists, then faced R19 put up? This assumes of course the unfaced is put up there neatly, not just stuffed in, etc.
Theoretically there should be a slight advantage for the two layer system because of the added interface between the two layers. Practically, I doubt it's measurable.

John
Ok. Im installing R38 faced in the ceiling upstairs. It was tough to find it at 231/2" to fit studs 24" OC. Lowes had it but I ended up having to buy it lots of 4 bags each. The building supply places here don't stock insulation and the places that do won't sell retail to me. I will end up with 2 extra bags. It occurred to me today after finishing about half the job that R19 at 24" is readily available and I could have gotten that and then doubled it.
local Lowes has the R38 batts in bundles of 4 packages. I just cut the straps on the bundles and they let me buy one or two packages. The first time one of the Lowes employees cut the bundles apart.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Yeah they wouldn't let me do that. Even the store manager said no.
crokett™ said:

Yeah they wouldn't let me do that. Even the store manager said no.

I've seen it that way at Home Depot and just cut the straps and took the one or two packages I needed. Never thought to ask, but I think the pricing sign was per, not bundle only.
Yeah sometimes its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. I'm more just annoyed I wasted cycles trying to find the R38 faced when I had another, easier alternative. Oh I did figure out the answer to a question I asked earlier about unfaced batts on the gable and dormer ends. After cutting and tucking, stapling, faced batts around windows, etc it would have been easier to just used unfaced, cover the whole thing with a vapor barrier and cut out around the window. Oh well.
If you need the vapor barrier, lay down R13 then blow the rest.
crokett™ said:

Yeah sometimes its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Next time you're there see if the pricing says whole bundle only. That's just not reasonable for a Lowes or Home Depot... especially when it's a bundle of X number of smaller packages... and it wouldn't be the first time store personnel didn't know what they were talking about.
or you could try checking out with the bundle and see if they only charge you for one.

The thing that drives me crazy is that they only sell boxes of ceiling tile nowadays. They used to have open boxes. I asked a handyman about it, and he said they only sell per tile if the box is damaged. Moral hazard time...