Cleaning up an abused Rigid R4122 CMS
I was walking through the shop at work and noticed that they were replacing the Rigid CMS they had with a new one. They used this saw solely to cut 8020 aluminum extrusions. I asked what was the problem with the old one and they said that the bearing were making noise. They asked if I wanted it and I told em' YEAH. They even threw in the original blade, manual, and dust collection bag.

It's not that I need one. I'm more of a hand powered miter box guy. But my BIL could sure use it. So I took it home and started the cleaning process today.

Here's what it looked like right from the shop

The saw was COVERED in aluminum chips. To make it worse, the shop used a cutting fluid. So the chips and alum. dust have the consistency of chunky metal paste! My plan was to get it as debris free as possible and then take it apart as much as necessary to get it cleaned up. Once I do that I will address the bad bearings.

I took the fence and throat plate off and then took it outside where I blew it off with my compressor. There were aluminum chips all over!

I brought it back into the shop and started on the fence. I had to use an acid brush dipped in mineral spirits to loosen the alum dust gunk and then wiped it down with a rag soaked in min. spirits. Yeah, it's messy. After the pieces dried I blew them off with compressed air. That seems about the only thing that gets rid of this stuff.

I'll probably disassemble it more tomorrow and continue to clean each piece individually.

Lucky for me this seems to be a pretty new saw. So there are parts available for this if I find I need them. I even found an exploded view diagram online with the parts numbers

Model: R4122 12" Miter Saw

If anyone has any other ideas about how to get rid of the aluminum chips/dust I'm all ears.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Two problems with aluminum chips -- they are SHARP and they are HOT.

Which means they stick into the plastic.

Keep brushing and blowing
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I started tearing apart the motor today and suddenly was struck by inspiration. I noticed I had a couple empty clear plastic spray bottles laying around. I filled one with mineral spirits and used it to "mist" the aluminum encrusted areas of the tool. The alum chips just about fell off! Once you spray them it dissolves the cutting fluid so that a blast of air will dislodge them.

The bearings actually look pretty good but I'm, still going to see about replacing them. I mean, I've gone through all that effort already, so why not?

Needless to say, I was downright AMAZED at the amount of chips that had accumulated in all the nooks and crannies. I thought I had gotten most of them with my initial cleaning.

I need to get some of the photos off my phone. When I get a chance I'll post some photos later.

I was making pretty good progress until it started to snow pretty heavy and I stopped to make sure I was prepared if we got any accumulation. You know, stocking up on ice melt, making sure the snow blower was gassed up and ready......
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I was looking at that saw at the BORG the other day. I think it basically replaced the one I have. The tilted motor is nice! Really gets out of the way of the work. That said, it means there's a bevel gear or something in there to make that corner. Be sure to inspect it too, that could be the noise. And you're right, bearings are shockingly cheap, so why not!? I got new ones for my band saw (blade) on Amazon for like $5 a pair.
Benny

if you need any parts besides the arbor bearing, let me know.. i have one mostly tore down. It was broke so i've been stealing parts for other saws.
My Day Job
well, bye.
I removed the bevel gear the other night. It was clean as a whistle. The grease still looked new. But that's not stopping me from cleaning it up and re-greasing it.
See ya around,
Dominic
Sorry for not replying right away. Got super busy.

Thanks for the offer. I'm good for now but will keep you in mind.

I just found out that this saw is 3 MONTHS OLD. They buy them, use em' till they start making noise and then buy another.

Not sure why they don't just buy a big industrial saw what is meant for this kind of work.......
See ya around,
Dominic