Door Latches
There will be 3 doors in the kneewall upstairs, 2 to get at stuff stored in the space behind them and one is a service door for the HVAC. I've got solid wood door slabs from Habitat that I will cut down. I plan on trimming the door openings out as standard - casing, trim, jambs, etc. I want latches that a) provide some pressure on the door to hold it closed against weather stripping and b) aren't the standard latches that I need to bore holes for the handle and latch mechanism. I've done it twice and don't want to on these. I also can't find the jig I have to do it, or my hole saws. They are packed up somewhere.
How about using some large magnet catches? Like on a refrigerator, etc.
Maybe a push type. No knob at all.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
pantry latches? I forget if that's what my sister bought for her house, but I'll probably remember after she procrastinates long enough that I put them in for her
I know you don't want standard latches but your order for a seal pretty much demands it.

Go to a rental store and get the jig to bore them with

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

EricU said:

pantry latches? I forget if that's what my sister bought for her house, but I'll probably remember after she procrastinates long enough that I put them in for her

hmm those might work I will have to see if I can make those look nice with the trim around the door.
Ball latch might work and they are adjustable.

Al

What you need!
I turn, therefore I am!
I had to google that, but it's definitely a possibility.
crokett™ said:

I had to google that, but it's definitely a possibility.

will not create an effective seal

I see this as a two fold issue first you need an air seal and second I suspect you may also need a smoke seal to meet code requirements

you can fool around with less than acceptable methods or you can find your jig buy a new one rent one or beg one

JMO

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Will the doors swing in or out? You could use a surface bolt and position the strike plate on the jamb so that you would push or pull the door slightly to compress the weather stripping as you are sliding the bolt. If the doors swing in then a simple knob or handle on each door would be required to compress the weather stripping.

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/do...ry-surface
I used spring loaded bullets or ball latches. Sorry I don't know the correct name for them.