Shapton Stone Question
On Amazon they appear to be selling Shapton Stones with Japanese writing and then the import version for America. They both appear to be the pro versions but the Japanese marketed ones are significantly cheaper. $39 vs $59 for the 1,000.

Does anyone have experience with either, or advise?

I am putting together a starter set with 1,000, 5,000, and then one from 10,000 up haven't decided on that one yet.
I bought 3 shaptons from Amazon vendors in Japan. They work great.

Are they the same as the ones sold in the USA? I don't know.

One item to note is the shaptons from Japan have instructions in Japanese (no big surprise) and the DIETER SCHMIDT FINE TOOL COMPANY had them translated and posted them online. They advise to soak the stones for 6 to 10 minutes before using.

The shaptons sold in the USA have instructions that say to splash-and-go, with no soaking necessary.

My technique is to flood the surface with lots of water until its dripping off all sides then wait a minute or two and proceed with sharpening as usual.

Mike
Thanks, I read one review that said the binders were slightly different but I think I'll soak them for a few minutes before use.

I certainly like the price of the Japanese Stones better.

Which stones are you using or would you recommend for a basic woodworking starter set. Plane blades and Chisels.
I'm pretty sure they are the same. Double check shipping prices. If shipping from Japan, the cost savings might be a wash. Same exact size. Same container. Same color. The vendor must be new to Amazon.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Both ship Prime which for me is free 2nd day so it is pure savings.
I have a related question. Do the coarser grit Shaptons--e.g., 320--require soaking, or simply a splash of water like the 1000 and 8000?
My understanding is that they all only require a spritz, but aren't hurt by a three or four minute soak before use. I'm talking about the Shapton Pro's and the Shapton Glass, not sure if they make others.
I have a 1000 and 8000 Shapton stones. Do I need the 5000, or can I go right from 1000 to 8000?
I honestly don't know. Just seemed like some good steps. The Lie Nielsen demo guy on Saturday using their stones went from a 1,000 to a 10,000.

I'm looking for advise from others, how is your setup working?
With no stones in between 1 and 10 thousand?