garbage disposer problem
Our disposer is about 8 years old, decent quality, and little use. It wouldn't work about 2 weeks ago, so I used the wrench, and after a while I got it free. But it seems like there are spots where it gets stuck and takes some wrenching and then it gets better. Nothing in the center at all. Wondering if it's a bearing that went bad. I hate to take it down if it's bad without a new one ready to install. Any comments. Thanks.
get a new one, I have found if you are not dropping a good deal of money on one the unit will be made of crap that just rots out. So even if you get it to work the pot metal is probably more than half gone in 8 years. The good thing is the new one will probably use the same lock ring you have in place already, hopefully it is still solid as I have seen those rot out too
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Get a new one & be done with it. They are not worth rebuilding. That's why you don't see rebuild kits for them.
Just get rid of it. IMO they are waste of money and hog space under the cabinet better used for storage. If you have a septic system it counts as another person in the house, too. How hard is it to dump the strainer into the waste bucket? People (read my wife) put all kinds of things down a disposal that they shouldn't. No disposal? Can't do it. (Didn't take long for her to adapt.)

John
our disposal went out just after we paid $250 to have our drain line under the kitchen sink cleared out. Guy basically said the plug came from food that went through the disposal, with a pretty clear implication that we should get rid of it. LOML would have none of it, although I think I cured her of putting large quantities of leafy vegetables down the drain.
Really amazing how often those three words are found together. IMO make it gone.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I guess my real question is, can it be possible that something would be stuck beyond the inside grinder? I've never paid that much attention to how they work, and if something solid could get past the grinder.
Yes, a disposal doesn't grind some things very well at all. My wife put artichoke leaves down ours. It took me several hours to snake out the plug, about 20 feet and several elbows downstream. I removed the disposal soon after that.

John
my guess is that it's food stuck in there. They only grind stuff up so fine and things can get forced past the screen. I forget what you are supposed to grind to clear it out, small rocks or something (brother google knows). Use it more is all I can say. I used to have to un-stick the old one occasionally. It felt horrible, but it ran fine, lasted most of 40 years from what I can tell. I wouldn't mess with yours until it really dies. Even a good one is not that much money if you can install it yourself.