How do I attach a...
2 X 4 to a cinder block wall? I need to attach a couple of
2 X 4's to a hollow block wall in my basement.
These will support steel brackets for shelves.
The shelves themselves will be supporting about 40 lbs. each.
I already have the steel brackets, I just need to "nail" up some wood to screw them to.

It needs to be a quick, simple method too.
I don't have the patience to drill anchors, etc.
I'm not building a tank, just a few shelves.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Put down a footer so that the end grain of the verticals is not sucking up moisture.

Since this is not the basement and you have already ruled out using anchors or the folding nuts, then just glue the verticals to the blocks with liquid nails.

No problem as long as you only put up shelves.

Not so sure about what happens if you put stuff on the shelves.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Actually, I forgot to mention, these studs will not be touching the floor. Basically a 4' long piece of wood.
I was thinking of using cut nails.

I am mounting some shelves above one of my workbenches.
I need to build a shelf for my airbrush, compressor, and build a charging station too.
I already have a power strip so I can charge my cordless batteries, etc.
I would suggest pinning, cleating, or otherwise fastening the wood studs to the floor joists above to lock in the top from rotation under load. Seal the back side as well as the end grain at the bottom of the studs, and/or rest them on on some type of plate/support that will prevent moisture from wicking in. Not sure whether smaller post plates are available, similar to these http://www.strongtie.com/products/connec...=capsbscat
Herb,
I began my post before learning that your studs are short of the floor. I would still try to find a way to use the floor joists above for support...I am not a fan of cut nails in a vertical application...
Tapcons
Herebrooks said:

Tapcons

+1

Liquid nail would probably work....but....
I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
Tapcons. They'll hold a lot of weight - more than liquid nails for sure. You have to drill pilot holes, but it's pretty quick. One tip I learned about drilling pilot holes to attach 2X4s. Your perfectly understandable inclination is to drill screw holes in the 2X4, place the 2X4 against the wall and drill the pilot holes in the cinder block using the 2X4 as the template l. It should work perfectly, except the concrete bit gets real hot from the friction with the 2X4 and the brazed-on carbide tips come off from the heat. I went through 3 brand new Bosch SDS bits before I figured out what was happening. Drill the screw holes in the 2X4, then mark the hole locations on the wall with a nail or an awl, remove the 2X4 and drill the pilot holes. An extra step or two, but it saves expensive bits.
Redhead concrete expansion anchor bolts.

Believe it or not, ALL of this is held up by several metal shelves which are screwed to 2x4's which are in turn held to the wall by 20 heavy duty anchor bolts. That is 28 linear feet of plane till built against 3/4" ply. There's gotta be a ton of weight there. They extend farther to the left and to the right of the picture. I also stood on that shelf (and I'm about 6'4, 250lbs) while running the electrical.

They cost a little more, but are well worth it.

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
You don't have the patience to drill anchors? Seriously?

Install it correctly with some tapcons. It'll take 5 minutes.

Or use magic, which it appears is what you're hoping to use.
Just get one of these and nail 2x4s to the wall!
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes