bad plywood from Lowes
I've found that putting some wide blue painters tape on the ply and then cutting through the tape helps cut down on the tear out if I don't have my panel saw or a fresh zero clearance plate in the tablesaw. Don't rub the tape down too hard and gently remove right after the cut seems to help a lot.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Even buying from plywood dealers, sometimes you get a bad sheet or even a bad batch. Sometimes it is the veneer lifting, sometimes de laminating of the plys. Personally, I would have rejected the sheet, if the veneer tears up 2" beyond the kerf, the veneer layer was NOT bonded properly. You may have more issues in the future.

On an up cutting saw like you describe, or a circular saw, a negative rake tooth is the best. Positive rake means the tooth emerges in front of the kerf and cuts backwards, which can cause tear out. A negative rake angle means the tooth emerges from the kerf forward.

Freud makes an Awesome 7-1/4" plywood/melamine blade for the circular saw. I have used it to get clean cuts on melamine.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
mike4244 said:

Using a radial arm saw to rip will promote tear out if the good face is up. Saw with the good face down.If you have a cabinet or contractors saw then rip with the good face up.

mike

I have both. I only use the RAS for cross cuts and cross dados.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would only be surprised if you said you got great plywood from Lowe's. I refuse to buy the Chinese plywood from anywhere. Too many bad experiences. If I see it, I keep looking.
Bit_Fiddler said:

I've found that putting some wide blue painters tape on the ply and then cutting through the tape helps cut down on the tear out if I don't have my panel saw or a fresh zero clearance plate in the tablesaw. Don't rub the tape down too hard and gently remove right after the cut seems to help a lot.

Dave

Same here. I have a panel saw and I always use the tape trick, even when cutting on a table saw.
First off - I would not have taken it home if THEY tore it up cutting it for you. Nope not going to pay for it.

Second - get/make yourself a track saw and do a much better job yourself.
vernonator said:

First off - I would not have taken it home if THEY tore it up cutting it for you. Nope not going to pay for it.

Second - get/make yourself a track saw and do a much better job yourself.

The point was not that I could do it better myself. The point was that it is easier to transport the small sheets in a passenger car. To transport a full sheet I have to mount the roof rack and heft a big piece. The 32" pieces fit easily in the car and should have worked fine.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
+1. I do this whenever I know what cut sizes I need. It's just so much easier to put those pieces in the back of my Outback than to haul full sheets, and I can do it in poor weather and drive w/o concern. Both Lowes and HD will cut the sheets for free, too. They also will help you load full size sheets onto your roof rack, etc., but when I get home I'm on my own.

John
bhh said:

I would only be surprised if you said you got great plywood from Lowe's. I refuse to buy the Chinese plywood from anywhere. Too many bad experiences. If I see it, I keep looking.

how do you know where it came from when you look at it?
If it's made in the US or Canada it usually says so on at least one edge.

John