Ellen Degeneres' Furniture design show
A new episode last night. The top two designs were a table and a bar stool.

In my opinion the judges got this right. But the table's sketches came so quickly that I am fairly certain that Sef had already designed this in the past. That takes nothing from the design, but clearly the bar stools were designed on the fly and were really good.

But I cannot find any pictures of these on line to post. Maybe someone else can find some.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I thought the second next loser (Yellow round seating couch) was much better than the concrete chaise. The tree "tire" swing needed to be about twice the diameter also.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Splinter Puller said:

I thought the second next loser (Yellow round seating couch) was much better than the concrete chaise. The tree "tire" swing needed to be about twice the diameter also.

The tire swing was sized to be used as you would use a regular tire swing. But you could never have done that because of the construction. It should have been way bigger.

I objected (and so did the carpenter) when the judge said that the concrete chaise was uncomfortable. My thought, "How does he know?" and it turns out he didn't.

The big yellow daybed turned out to look fine in the environment (where its bulk was partly hidden) and the judges were all enamored with the comfort. But it looked big, clumsy and crude when examined on stage. And he never would have gotten it done without the help of his competitors. (Do they realize they are competing against each other?).

I never heard of burning wood to make it rot resistant. Does that work?

All in all I enjoy the show.
I have heard of thermally treated wood.

http://www.cambiawood.com/about-our-wood...ified-wood
WoodNET... the new safespace
...I never heard of burning wood to make it rot resistant. Does that work?

[/blockquote]

The Japanese have been using that technique for centuries (cedar siding). It's call Shou Sugi Ban (or Yakisugi). Here's a very cool video on that subject.

Shou Sugi Ban

Johnet
Anyone know of a way to watch this streaming? As a cord-cutter I'm struggling to find a way. Neither Amazon nor iTunes has it that I can find.
No topcoat on the charred wood?
I like the show. Hope they do more woodworking on the next episode.
A new episode last night. It seemed more like engineering projects than woodworking. CadCams and Plasma machines all computerized. Lots of engineering.

Same two finalists as last week, and I think they are the strongest designers. I think the judges got it right, both on the winner and the one that was eliminated.

There is a short clip here for those that missed it.

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/ellens-design-challenge
Most of the tables were completely flimsy, I bet they would wobble and probably come apart in a short time.