Tool Storage
I need to do some temporary storage of my shop equipment prior to an upcoming move. Have any of you used PODS storage for something like this. I would be basically storing my two car garage shop and having it stored at their facility and then having it shipped to my new location. My thoughts are this may be easier on me as far as moving everything twice.

What I am not sure of is, how to prepare the equipment for storage? How can I be sure the stuff does not shift in the container?

Thanks for your ideas or experience on this situation.
Steve

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'
Eleanor Roosevelt
I helped a friend load a PODS unit with his tools for a move from Tyler to Fredericksburg. Although not cheap, he liked it because he could load/unload at his leisure. We did not attempt to tie stuff down - we did try to balance the load and keep the heavier stuff low on the floor. We also tried to either block in vertical pieces or lay them down on the floor to avoid a top-heavy or tipsy load.

It's also possible the folks at POS may have some advice.

Hope this helps.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
Have you ever seen a PODS truck make a delivery? It's pretty impressive! I think it's a great option, but shop around too. There are other companies that offer the same service with metal shipping containers, if you're worried about something puncturing the plastic pod panel.
Benny

I used pods last year when I moved here. (Old house sold before new one was finished) search online first there are a ton of coupons out there.

I liked that they store them indoors so no issue with rust etc. but mostly it was so I didn't have to move my stuff twice as I would've with traditional storage. My shop stuff all faired pretty well. Some household stuff...not so much. I did not pay enough attention to proper loading/tying off as I should have. They get jostled around a good bit when loading and unloading so I would advise tying off whatever you can or packing really tight. The ones that they delivered to me were essentially made out of 4x4's with eye bolts around. It would've been easy to add more had I not been in such a hurry.

I'd use them again if in a similar situation. They also sit like 4" off the ground so it's easy to roll and hand truck into etc.
-Marc

If I was faced with storing a load between houses, depending on the coast of a POD including storage days, I might look into buying a cargo trailer.
Find a friend who wants to buy a cargo trailer. Tell him you will buy a trailer, store it at his house, then unload and sell him the trailer for cost, minus ??? Could be a win win for you both.
Or have him buy it and you rent it before he starts using it.
I think a pod for a few days (no storage) is around $350.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I used 1800Packrat as opposed to PODS, very similar, but they were less expensive.

I loaded my house into one 16 foot container, and my shop into another. They drop them off, you load, they pick up and can store on either end of the move. We stored my shop container for 3 months and the house for almost four.

Overall, Nashville, TN to Fort Myers, Fl with storage was well under $4k. Having the containers stored in Ft. Myers, we could get into them if needed with 48 hours notice, no hassle, no extra charge.

My entire 28 by 20 shop fit into one 16' container.

Overall, I was very happy with them.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
It may very by region but I only paid $980-ish for 2 pods stored for 4 months. This was October 2014-January 2015. For a local move.
-Marc

We use pods at work for jobsite storage all the time. I would say it could work great as long as everything gets tied down very well. Perhaps some $5 moving blankets from harbor freight. Maybe it's just my area I don't know but when they load and unload the pod they use a forklift from the side and it tilts the pod quite a bit. So just make sure everything is secure with rarchet straps so nothing can roll or tilt over.
Smaller tools can be put in boxes that are not too heavy. Buy boxes off the web and use extra strong packing tape. Label the boxes. Put your new address and names on the boxes.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)